What are you Cooking the week of November 3, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of November 3, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We've got theatre tickets to see Phantom of the Opera (again), so dinner will probably be whatever we decide to pick up.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had homemade pizza.

BakerAunt
        Participant

To accompany a rotisserie chicken for Sunday dinner, I made a stir-fry with leftover mixed rice and some bulgur. The vegetables were green onion, celery, the last red bell pepper from our garden, an eggplant, sliced mushrooms, and the rest of the bag of broccoli, carrots, and snow peas, and some kale. I sautéed the vegetables in some grapeseed oil, added the chicken drippings (about 1 Tbs.) and a little bit of water.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
          RiversideLen
          Participant

I finally had a chance to use my 2 inch half sheet pan. I roasted a spatchcock chicken with veggies. I was undecided whether or not to use a rack so I went on Youtube to see how some of them do it. I decided against the rack and put Brussels Sprouts and carrots in the pan. I made a compound butter using my homegrown sage and rosemary, a little salt and olive oil. I stuffed some of it under the breast skin and rubbed the rest over the chicken. I roasted it at 425 degrees for about an hour, which was a little longer than necessary but I prefer a little overdone than underdone (about 45 minutes was the recommended time). I loosely covered the veggies with foil after about 40 minutes. The veggies turned out a little soft but otherwise delicious. The chicken was delicious as well. Had it with some rice.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Tonight I made salmon patties with leftover coleslaw and cheese grits.

navlys
              Participant

I made Ina's lamb with spring vegetables, but with beef (chuck). It was a 2 hour process but it was worth it. We recently moved and we now have an additional market to shop at. I discovered that their beef is so much better than the supposedly "choice" at our previous (and currently here also) market. I feel that I have been denied for years. I haven't tried their chicken so i made my peppered chicken thighs with Perdue chicken.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Tonight we had fried cubed pork,fried okra and baked sweet potato patties with a dab of butter,brown sugar and cinnamon.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Dinner tonight was all leftovers: roast pork, broccoli, buttercup squash, and a fresh green salad. We also had peanut butter brownies topped with ganache that I had made last week.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Tuesday morning, I cooked a package of Bob’s Red Mill black beans, which I had soaked overnight. I used most of the beans (3 lbs.) to make Black Bean Pumpkin Soup, a recipe from Deb Perelman’s Smitten Kitchen. I made some minor changes, using onion rather than shallots, which I don’t have, and substituting 1 cup crushed tomatoes left over from another recipe for 1 cup drained canned tomatoes that get pureed with the beans. I deleted the salt and reduced the cumin to 1 ½ tsp., since I know my limits. I replaced butter with olive oil, and a 16 oz. can pumpkin with about 3 cups of my puree from the freezer. I had a bit of chopped ham, which I added, but I didn’t have 8 oz. I deleted toe 3-4 Tbs. of sherry vinegar, as I don’t have it, but I did add the ½ cup sherry. In place of the 4 cups beef broth, I used 2 cups boiling water with a heaping tablespoon of Penzey’s beef base, and I added 2 cups of the black bean liquid, because why waste it? It makes a lot of soup, and I had to change over to my 5 ½ quart Dutch oven from a 4 quart. I’ll be eating it this week for lunch (and may freeze a couple of servings) by myself, since my husband does not care for black beans or cumin.

I also made applesauce with some “seconds” apples that have been in the refrigerator for a while and looked it. The applesauce came out well, and I froze it for Thanksgiving, since my husband does not care for cranberries.

For Tuesday dinner, I made a stir-fry using leftover rotisserie chicken, soba noodles, green onion, celery, carrots, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and broccoli.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Tonight we had fried chicken breast,black eyed peas and rice.

chocomouse
                        Participant

We had chicken thighs and roasted veggies - squash, potato, carrots, brussels sprouts, and onion - seasoned with Penzey's Sunny Paris, and green salad.

skeptic7
                          Participant

On Sunday I did Pumpkin Farro Risotto, which was inspired by this recipe. https://thirdculturefoodie.blogspot.com/2011/11/pumpkin-farro-risotto.html

This was my first time cooking with Farro and I found this web site very helpful.
                            https://cookthestory.com/cook-farro/

This was a very nice bright orange. I need to try this recipe again as I had lazily left out ingredients like goat cheese as I wanted a blander less rich dish and found it a little boring.

On Monday I baked a long necked pumpkin getting > 5 pints of very richly flavored sweet puree in a bright orange. There is going to be more pumpkin bread in the future.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Wednesday’s dinner was panko coated chicken breast, accompanied by spinach noodles that I mixed with some leftover frozen broccoli from the freezer, along with some olive oil, a little milk, and Parmesan cheese.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I made pizza yesterday and today.
                                I made enough dough for 3 dinners and one lunch (smallish thin crust). I used 100 grams each of rye, whole wheat, semolina and bread flours. A teaspoon of sugar, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp yeast and 270 grams of water.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Today I made corn chowder, for my husband, and I had mushroom soup that I made a few days ago. With the buns I made today it was the perfect meal for our snowy evening, the first of the season.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.