Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,591 through 1,605 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: KAF reports 2000% increase in online flour sales #24104
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      I placed an order with KAF a couple of weeks ago, I got the shipment email a few days ago and Fedex had it scheduled to arrive today. I looked at the tracking and saw the package hadn't moved since Friday, so I didn't think it was getting here today. Just received a text that the new arrival day is this coming Friday. Wonder what's going on with Fedex.

      in reply to: Coming Through the Rye #24087
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        That looks wonderful Mike. I bet it would be great for a BLT or grilled cheese.

        in reply to: Daily Quiz for May 23, 2020 #24086
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          I missed it. btw, I'm not interested in it either!

          in reply to: Red SAF vs Gold SAF Yeast #24081
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I used to use the Red, then some years ago I tried the Gold. I've never done a side by side comparison. I didn't want to have two containers of yeast in my freezer (though I wouldn't mind it today!) so I just buy the Gold. I use it as I would any dry yeast, I make no adjustments with it. I haven't had any issues.

            As far using less yeast, recently I have been doing that to conserve what I have, about 30 to 40 percent less. I have noticed the rise times are taking a little longer, but otherwise it's working out fine.

            in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of May 17, 2020? #23984
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              Inspired by the KAF blog about using less yeast, I made a starter for my Rye/Semolina/Wheat buns. I took 1 cup of the flour (a mix of rye and whole wheat), 3 grams of yeast and a cup of warm buttermilk and mixed it together and let it proof at room temp for about 30 minutes then I put it in the fridge. I did that yesterday. Today I pulled it out for about 30 minutes, it was still cold, and proceeded to make the bread adding 1 additional gram of yeast. The first rise was very nice, filling up my KAF proofing bucket. I have formed it into 8 buns, 4 topped with the KAF everything bagel topping. I am waiting for them to rise and then to bake. It all looks good and next time I think I will reduce the yeast by 1 gram, only using 3 grams.

              in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of May 17, 2020? #23983
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                It's going to be the same as yesterday with the addition of a fresh baked bun which I turn into garlic bread.

                in reply to: KAF reports 2000% increase in online flour sales #23982
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  I was able to get a 4 ounce jar of Red Star ADY over the weekend from Whole Foods and saw that envelopes of yeast are available (in my area) from Amazon Fresh. I have an online friend in Canada (Toronto area) and she told me she can't find yeast anywhere. The 4 ounce jar cost $7.99 which is more than a pound of SAF from KA.

                  in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of May 17, 2020? #23961
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    I made a batch of spaghetti sauce today, had some with pasta and cauliflower.

                    in reply to: Daily Quiz for May 15, 2020 #23860
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      If I am not mistaken, I believe Kellogg believed in a vegetarian diet and the cornflakes were developed to give people an alternate to the fat laden breakfasts that were typical of the time.

                      in reply to: Daily Quiz for May 15, 2020 #23846
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        I got the date wrong but I knew why they were invented.

                        in reply to: Daily Quiz for May 14, 2020 #23839
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          I got it too. That may have been sometime around when pre sliced bread was made available.

                          in reply to: Daily Quiz for May 13, 2020 #23802
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I avoided what was to me, the obvious choice and eliminated 2 other choices because I didn't think they had much iron at all (which I was wrong about) and so was able to make the correct selection.

                            in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of May 10, 2020? #23789
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              I made Italian sausage with onion and sweet pepper and had it on a fresh roll. Mashed potato and broccoli and cauliflower.

                              in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of May 10, 2020? #23788
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                BA, that reminds me, I have a can or two of tart cherries. I need to find a way to use it, that cherry cobbler sounds good.

                                I made my bread rolls today, I made 4 into burger buns and 4 into a 3 strand braid for sausage rolls.

                                in reply to: KAF reports 2000% increase in online flour sales #23781
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  You all are welcome. I didn't think about looking for yeast, I was so excited to get 20 pounds of flour. I have a pound that I bought last Autumn and about 3 ounces left from my open container. I'm also using the "use less yeast" method for my usual bread so I will be ok for a while.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,591 through 1,605 (of 2,649 total)