What are you Cooking the week of May 3, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of May 3, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Salmon is twice the price at the local store as it would be at Walmart, so we decided to try another cold water fish: pollock. I searched for recipes online and settled on Baked Fish and Chips at:

https://www.wellplated.com/baked-fish-and-chips/

I made a half recipe of the fish but a full recipe of potatoes. I do not have Old Bay Seasoning, having never used it, so I used Penzey’s Sunny Paris. I used regular flour for the first dredging. It is a good basic recipe, and I like that the potatoes are roasted on the same pan. I used the roast setting on my oven. I would make it again.

I tried to make a Greek style dipping sauce, by following a recipe for Yogurt Dill Dipping Sauce from the internet:

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/yogurt-dill-dipping-sauce

It was never quite right, but I was able to make it passable by adding olive oil, salt, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, chives, and dried onion. My husband ate some of it, so it was ok. Next time I’ll omit the lemon juice. It would likely be better with full-fat yogurt, but I used the nonfat that I had. We completed the meal with microwaved frozen vegetables

Italiancook
      Participant

I made Beouf Bourignon (sp?) from Cook-Ahead Cookery for tomorrow's dinner -- serving with noodles. My husband made waffles for today's lunch, and I made grilled cheese for dinner.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I made spaghetti with meat sauce and broccoli.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

We had fried cubed pork,rice and gravy,macaroni and cheese and left over green butter beans

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I think we're doing BLT's tonight.

chocomouse
              Participant

We had salmon with pasta and broccoli.

Italiancook
                Participant

I tried my hand at bell peppers with onions and sausage. What a project. I'll never do it again. I didn't have Italian sausage, so I used up some sausage links. I browned them and didn't drain the oil out of the pan. I decided the veggies would taste better in sausage grease. I cut the sausages into 1/2 inch pieces.

I tried slicing the onions in what Julie Child called the correct way. What a bother! I finally switched back to my tried and true wrong way. Having never made or seen this before, I sliced the green and red pepper as thinly as I could. Painstakingly thin. After I pulled the sausage out of the skillet, I added water to deglaze the pan then added olive oil.

After the onions were sauteed, I added the peppers, a little water, and a lid to steam. My husband, who has also never eaten this concoction, said the peppers need to be soft. So I overcooked them. They were so thin and soft it was difficult to get them on the fork. Would have been better off in a bowl with a spoon. I wasn't wild for the taste and will never do this again.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Breakfast sausage is best consumed before your taste buds wake up for the day.

The pieces of onion and pepper need to be big enough to still have some substance after cooking.

I haven't tried any of the recipes on this page, but the picture at the top looks good:
                    sausage, peppers and onions

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Peppers, onions, Italian sausage--not a meal that I could ever make for my husband, but it is one that I recall fondly. Italian sausage and German brauts are now off the menu for me, but if I could get a good one somewhere, I'd break the dietary restriction for one day.

My Mom used to cook those little breakfast sausages to go with pancakes. I liked them with applesauce.

Italiancook
                      Participant

Thanks, Mike, for the link. I see there's a tomato product in the meal. I didn't know that and didn't use any tomato addition.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Tomatoes aren't in all the recipes, I've made it without tomatoes. I like big strips of onions and peppers in mine. The sausage is always the big challenge for us, most Italian sausages have garlic in them.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

It was leftover spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

My husband cooked pork chops in a skillet on the stove. I boiled some frozen pierogis, and microwaved some frozen mixed vegetables.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

We wound up having peanut butter on baguettes for supper.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I suppose that peanut butter on baguettes is American-French fusion food?

Friday night’s dinner was leftover pork. I cooked some freekeh in water, along with the pork drippings from yesterday. We had microwaved frozen mixed vegetables as well.

We are preparing for a late freeze tonight, with temperatures expected to dip to 28F and stay there. We hope it will be the last freeze of the season, but is not good news for the local berry crops. My husband has covered our blueberry plants but the black raspberries and blackberries will have to fend for themselves. We had saved the heavy plastic that wrapped my stove when it was delivered, and it works well to cover some plants. We also had to secure a kayak that was delivered on Monday, which we tried out yesterday morning (much fun!) and had put next to the house. It cannot be in freezing temperatures, and there is not room, at the moment, for it in the garage or the shed, and the shed would be a bit of a hike, as it is across the road. So, we have brought it into the living room to overnight. Nothing says lake house like a kayak in the center of the house. 😊

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.