What are You Cooking the Week of April 26, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of April 26, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I always reheat pizza in the oven, not the microwave.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I always used a toaster oven to reheat pizza. I've used my regular oven, but with the thick-crust pizza, which already has a relatively browned crust, I found that the oven burned it. Part of that might have been the pan I was using, but we've been reheating the pan pizza in the microwave, which does make for a soggier crust. I might go back and try the toaster oven again, although that means pulling it out of the cabinet, as there is no room for it on the counter. Our kitchen footprint, even with renovation, was too small for additional counter space.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I made buckwheat buttermilk pancakes for breakfast. I recently got a small bag of self rising Whitelily flour, so I mixed equal parts of that with the buckwheat and an equal amount of rolled oats. They came out light and fluffy and not dry. Too often my buckwheat cakes come out dry but these were just right.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I love anything buckwheat, Riverside Len.

On Wednesday, I made another batch of yogurt.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I made honey glazed Salmon. ATK did this in one of their shows. It came out pretty good.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We had taco salad tonight.

Italiancook
                Participant

I went through a stage where I would have taco salad at a restaurant everyday for lunch. Having it at home sounds good, but I have no idea how I'd pull that off. Joan, how do you make your taco salad, or do you buy yours at a restaurant? I can't remember what's in one.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Since the edit button isn't available in my previous post, I'll add this one just to say we had salmon patties from canned salmon and frozen mixed veggies for dinner.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I've had taco salad at a lot of restaurants, there are many different and good ways to make it. Salad greens, of course, tomatoes, onions, some seasoned beef, maybe some beans, jalapeno peppers, salsa or pico de gallio, sour cream, olives, cheese. Broken up pieces of taco shells or chips are good, too.

When we have tacos, I often take the left over lettuce and make up a salad with the left over ingredients, less to put away.

Darned if I know why the edit button would go away, rebooting the computer or deleting cookies or temporary files/cache might help.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Italiancook when we have taco salad I scramble cook the hamburger and add taco seasoning,I heat a can of refried beans which I add a little garlic powder and chili powder,then we have lettuce,tomato,cheese,sour cream and salsa to top it off.I like tortilla chips or fritos with mine but my husband doesn't.Sometime I roll mine in a flour tortilla and eat it like a burrito.Like Mike all leftover lettuce,tomato and cheese makes for a premade salad for later on.We layer meat,beans and toppings.I like this cause I can make it all in 20 minutes.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Salad night here last yesterday: broccoli, ditalini, and seafood.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I'm making broth from the frozen remains of the turkey we had for Easter. I'll use some of it to make soup tonight or tomorrow and freeze the rest.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Thursday night's dinner was soup. I had a bean and barley mix (expiration January 2019--hey, these things happen!) and I soaked it in salted water overnight and into the next day. I drained and rinsed them, before putting them in a 4-qt. pot to cook for 90 minutes, covered with about an inch of water. In a separate large pot, I sautéed chopped carrots and chopped celery, then added large sliced mushrooms. (The grocery has had these at a better price than an equal weight of the small ones, and they seem to have a more intense flavor.) I added cooked ground turkey that I froze after we had pizza, and 2 Tbs. Penzey's dried onion that I rehydrated in 1/2 cup water. I then added about 4 cups of the turkey broth and let it simmer a bit. I used 2 tsp. Penzey's Bouquet Garni and 1/4 tsp. fennel, and freshly ground black pepper. I added the cooked bean and barley mix and cooked until the vegetables were done. I added some additional turkey broth to get it to a good soup level. We had it with cornbread.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Tacos

chocomouse
                                Participant

Fajitas and cilantro-lime rice.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.