2020 Gardens

Home Forums Gardening 2020 Gardens

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

With the weather being what it has been, mostly on the cooler side, I was not paying attention to the tomato calendar. I usually order my tomato and herb plants from Burpee. I went to their web site Friday and saw almost all the tomato and herb plants are gone. I placed an order for 1 tomato and 2 peppers and a few herbs. I'm disappointed that I waited so long. I was talking to a neighbor and he told me about someone local who grows tomato plants for sale, $6 a plant and $2 for delivery. I took a look at what he offers and sent him an email to place an order. I'm hoping I'm not too late with him, either.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

The seed houses got hit right after the flour and yeast supplies ran low. We managed to find enough seeds to start about 2 dozen tomatoes, plus 8 that we bought from local growers that getting to be close to a foot tall.

We used to try to get our plants in the ground around Mother's day, but recently we've been hit with some pretty cool mid-May weather and have twice lost all our tomatoes to a late frost, so we'll probably wait until around Memorial Day again this year. In the mean time, the plants are doing fairly well under the grow lights, but aside from the ones that we bought, most of the plants are too small for transplanting yet, anyway.

We're thinking we might just leave the buttercrunch lettuce under the grow lights and see how they do there, we might keep the light setup for growing salad greens and herbs year round.

Yesterday we got an assortment of 6 different types of basil, though I'm not sure I could tell you which ones are which. We've got some more plants, including some more herbs, scheduled for pickup on Friday.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We've got frost warnings the next 3 nights. In years past we often had our tomatoes in the ground around Mother's Day, but in the past few years we've had several cold snaps after the 15th of May, so I'm waiting a while. The seeds we started inside aren't big enough to be transplanted yet, anyway.

chocomouse
          Participant

We've got snow!! About 1/4", with flurries to continue all morning. I never plant tomatoes, peppers, etc until Memorial Day. This year, I've put off buying any starts until after Mother's Day, because nurseries/garden center will be swamped until then. In this area, we are allowed to order plants online/phone, and are given an appointment time for drive-through pick up. You can also make an appointment at some greenhouses for a half hour in the greenhouse, one person at a time. I'll try to to schedule both of those for the same time.

Mike, you will not regret growing year-round under lights. We eat a lot of green salads, so we do have to supplement with store bought greens too. I have a large Aerogarden that I grow herbs in, and a baker's rack with Gro-lights attached for each shelf, which I use for lettuces.

BakerAunt
            Participant
              aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Well, we had snow last night. Not as much as Choco but snow. And this morning the furnace isn't working. I'm going to play with it a bit before I call the furnace guy but I have the fireplace going.

It's 60 in our kitchen this morning. I'm going to hold off on more bread making until later in the day. I was going to make scones for mother's day but we have bagels and muffins already so Mom, aka my wife said no scones.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Furnaces have a diabolical understanding that ceasing to function is ALWAYS on the weekend.

It's not gardening, but on Friday, we had an influx of sparrows, who are still here on Monday. There are a lot of little bugs outside, and the sparrows are going after them in an amazing aerial ballet. Some have even perched on our screens to eat the bugs there. Swallows do show up around this time, but we've not seen this kind of show in the three years that we've lived here permanently.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

It never seems to fail. I was hoping to put in the larger tomato plants over the Memorial Day weekend, but we've had about 5 inches of rain since Friday, and it doesn't look like it plans to stop raining soon, the first day without rain in the forecast is Friday.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

My husband is going to wait another week or so before moving our tomato plants outside. We also have red bull peppers that are taking a long time to germinate.

Our radishes are starting to come up, as are the green beans, snow peas, and carrots.

We didn't get many red bell peppers off of last year's plant. It had a late start, and other plants blocked its sunshine. It still had a couple little green peppers developing last year before the freeze, so my husband dug it up and put it in a pot on the sun porch--which you may recall allows in light but not heat. It sat there looking droopy all winter, being watered as needed by my husband. He transplanted it back outside last week. We weren't expecting much but not only are new leaves developing but the small peppers, which we had thought would fall off, are now growing.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I received my pepper, tomato and herb plants late last week. I've been waiting on the special container mix from Gardeners Supply. It was supposed to ship on May 10, I finally received the shipping notice today. Hopefully I'll have my stuff planted by the end of the week.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

We harvested radishes from our garden this week--our first produce. Other plants are growing, but it will be a while before we harvest anything else.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I finally got the last of the tomato plants in the ground yesterday, replacing one that didn't survive transplant and putting in 5 others, giving me a total of 24 plants this year, about 10 different varieties. I've still got a few left in the seed trays in case some of these don't survive transplant. Given how hot it has been, and how late they all got in the ground, I don't really expect to see many early season tomatoes, but hopefully we'll get a break in the weather at some point during the summer and I'll get a reasonable crop in August or September. If we get a late frost, I've been known to get tomatoes until nearly Halloween.

We had started some cantaloupe from seed but it wasn't doing much. I put them in the ground two weeks ago and they've really taken off since then. We've got some eggplant, too, some of the small ones and some of the big ones.

We still have some butterhead lettuce under the grow lights, they're not doing much, I don't know if they don't have enough or the right soil, aren't getting enough light or something else. Maybe they're just slow growers?

chocomouse
                            Participant

Despite the h 90* temps and lack of rain, our in-ground garden and the plants on the deck are doing great. The garden is small, 18' x 18', only 6 tomatoes, 6 bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cukes, zukes, summer squash and winter squash. We water deeply a couple times a week now that they are beyond the 2-leaf stage. On the deck are 2 waist-high planters that are 4 ft by 15 inches, 2 planters on the railing that are 3 ft by 15 inches, and some large, 15 inch diameter pots. I'm trying a mix of garden dirt, composted horse manure, and compost from our bins; that seems to be a good combination, but I'll supplement by side-dressing with more compost if things start lagging. We have all the lettuce and spinach we can eat; I cut it off about an inch above the roots, and it regrows. The beans that I planted almost 4 weeks ago have flowered. Beets are slow, but coming along. I have 2 huge zucchini plants in one pot and 2 cucumbers plants in another. I also have a variety of herbs, in the rock garden and in 2 planters. I have planted a 2nd planter with another crop of lettuce, and will start another crop of beans in the other railing planter. Of course, I also have several barrels and planters of flowers on the deck too. I water everything once a day, early morning, when it is hot and no rain. I'm adapting nicely to this new style of gardening, after 35 years of maintaining a 50 x 100 foot garden. And it looks like we'll have plenty to eat with a little left over for the freezer.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

One of the tomato plants I put in last night is already gone, looks like I may have some cutworms.

I've replaced it (I still had another of that variety) and I've sprinkled some corn meal around the newer plants, that's supposed to attract the cutworms and then kill them When they eat it.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Len, I'm wondering what you are doing for gardening this summer. I remember some interesting photos you posted last year?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.