Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,516 through 1,530 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the week of July 5, 2020? #25233
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      I made my usual sandwich buns but I tweaked it a little, I added a little more semolina and a little less bread flour. It baked up nice and smells good.

      in reply to: Daily Quiz for July 5, 2020 #25214
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        Joins the missed it club.

        in reply to: Daily Quiz for July 4, 2020 #25203
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          I think it used to have his name on it, "Brand's _________", anyway that's what I remember even if my memory is faulty, so I got it.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of June 28, 2020? #25191
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I'm making an Italian sausage and sauteed mushrooms. Will have it with a simple salad of lettuce, tomato and cucumber.

            in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of June 28, 2020? #25182
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              Another possibility is that they were under baked. I've done that.

              in reply to: Daily Quiz for July 3, 2020 #25181
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                I knew what family bok choy comes from as it sometimes called Chinese _______.

                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of June 28, 2020? #25174
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  When you are retired everyday is a Saturday and every evening is a friday. Tonight I made another stir fry this time I had it with noodles.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of June 28, 2020? #25144
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    I had a BLT with hummus for lunch (hummus took the place of mayo).

                    For dinner I made a stir fry with left over pork, had it over rice.

                    in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of June 28, 2020? #25143
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      Mike, it tastes very good. I used Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips.

                      BA, that pizza sounds delicious.

                      in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of June 28, 2020? #25134
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        Thanks everyone!

                        I like braided loaves because I like how the slices pull apart when eating it. I like to pan them because I like tall loaves, it gives me standard size slices. It makes it easier for sandwiches and grilled cheese etc. A non panned braid does make for a better presentation, though.

                        in reply to: Daily Quiz for July 1, 2020 #25133
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          I missed it too.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of June 28, 2020? #25124
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I had a sandwich and soup.

                            in reply to: A Quick Bread That is a Meal #25117
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              Interesting. I think the success of that recipe will depend on what ham you use. A lot of the hams they sell today are pumped up with a lot of water which might leach out into the loaf as it bakes.

                              in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of June 28, 2020? #25111
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                I have some semolina flour that I'd like to use so today I made King Arthur Semolina Sandwich bread . I made some changes to it, some out of necessity and some out of preference. I didn't have corn meal so I subbed white whole wheat, I don't have powdered milk so used 2% milk instead of water, I subbed 1 tablespoon of honey for the sugar, cut the salt in half and finally, 2 tablespoons of olive oil for the butter. That's a lot of changes but it worked. One thing I could have done was to reduce the yeast but since this was my first time making this I used the 2 teaspoons called for. Next time I'll cut the yeast to 1 1/4 tsp. The recipe says it might not double in the one hour rise time but mine more than doubled in a half hour. I formed it into a braided loaf and then turned the oven on. The oven was minimally preheated by the time the loaf was ready to go in. I baked it for 35 minutes at 350 which gave me readings of more than 190 degrees.

                                I sliced it and made a grilled cheese sandwich. It makes a lot of crumbs when slicing. It has a tender but chewy texture. Overall, I'd rate this a 4 on a scale of one to five.

                                semolina-bread‑1

                                semolina-bread‑2

                                semolina-bread‑3

                                Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #25103
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  Back in March, when the Covid hit the fan, home freezers became scarce. In April I decided I wanted another freezer, a small one, primarily to store my baking supplies to ensure I could stock up and they would store well. Big box stores showed out of stock for all the freezers in the size I wanted, 5 cubic feet or less, maybe the bigger ones were out too but I didn't look at those. A Chicagoland store, ABT, showed everything back ordered but at least they were letting you place an order with the understanding that delivery would be delayed. Not a problem, I can wait a month or so, this isn't critical to me. So I place an order for a 3.6 cf GE. Over the next two months I received emails from ABT saying GE was informing them that delivery of that model would be delayed. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the model went from back ordered to discontinued. I decided I probably wasn't going to get that one and looked for alternatives. They had several 5 cf freezers also on back order (5 cf is the largest I am interested in because of space considerations). So I asked them which would be available first, a GE or a Frigidaire. They told me the Frig would be available in the middle of July and the GE sometime in August. So I moved my order over to the Frigidaire. A few days later I got an email from them saying they had it in now and to schedule delivery. I scheduled it for this past Saturday as that was the first available date. So early Saturday morning I got woke up with a phone call from the delivery driver saying he was on the way and would be here at 8 a.m. Sure enough, promptly at 8 a.m. they were here and by 8:10 my new freezer was in place and humming, yay!

                                  After the freezer reached temperature I gathered my flours from various storage places to put in the freezer. I also took inventory of what I had and the best by dates. I figure I have enough flour to last about a year. But I did come across a bag of Semolina from KAF that has a best by date of this past April. As long as it looks and smells OK, it should be good to use, right?

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,516 through 1,530 (of 2,649 total)