What are You Cooking the Week of July 12, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of July 12, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

We had pan fried sausage with scrambled eggs and toast.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Tonight we had hamburger steaks with fries and lettuce and tomato salad mixed with mayonnaise.

I had to go grocery shopping today in Target I bought all purpose KA unbleached white,wheat and bread flour all for $3.39 each,they did have plenty of yeast,Publix had it all too but was a dollar more for them.I was at a Amish bakery yesterday in a town 45 min from here and they had the one pound pkg. of SAF yeast for $4.25.I didn't need .But as I was looking at Publix I saw a jar of yeast and I was reading about it,it looked like you sprinkled it on food,yeast flakes.Never heard of it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Joan Simpson.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I've never really understood yeast flakes. They're deactivated yeast, and are used as a flavoring or nutritional supplement. They're supposed to have a flavor reminiscent of cheese.

Marmite is even weirder, IMHO.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Thanks,Mike.So many things out there that I know nothing about.That's one thing I like about this site.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I made salmon patties for dinner, which we had with the rest of the quinoa salad, which we put on some of our homegrown lettuce.

cwcdesign
              Participant

We dressed up leftover buffalo chicken (cuz there was so little left) with sheet pan sweet potatoes, cauliflower, onion, black beans and cheddar topped off with avocado and salsa. It was delicious and there is a little left for tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I love the way people at Nebraska Kitchen get creative with leftovers!

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

BakerAunt I love the way everyone uses leftovers too.

No cooking here today,I went and got taco's at our favorite Mexican restaurant.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Yesterday I made veggie fried rice for lunch (zucchini, mushroom, red onion and red bell pepper). For dinner I had a brat and a large salad.

I made a pork roast earlier today and I will make thin slices for a sandwich for dinner. I will have a large salad with it.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Friday, I made broth from the bones of the chicken we had earlier this week. On Saturday, I used a cup of it to cook some bulgur to go with our leftover salmon patties and some microwaved fresh green beans from the garden.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Friday night we had boneless pork chops, potato salad, and our first green and yellow beans from the deck garden. So good! I have another planting of beans started in a 3 foot planter, also on the deck.

Tonight we had grilled chicken breasts, leftover potato salad, and a fresh from the garden broccoli salad.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

I don’t understand people who say they won’t eat or don’t like leftovers. That means no Thanksgiving Turkey sandwiches or next day spaghetti and meatballs - they’re always better the next day!

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

My wife will eat some leftovers but not others, and I've never figured out a pattern to it in 47+ years. She won't eat left over spaghetti, but she will eat the cheese toast I make to go with spaghetti, and she'll eat left over lasagna or pizza. She won't eat left over stir fry, but she will eat left over pot roast. Go figure!

RiversideLen
                              Participant

If you eat in a restaurant chances are you are being served some items that were previously prepared, refrigerated and then warmed up on order, which is essentially what a left over is. Personally, I love left overs as they make easy meals.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

And when I make soup or chili, we'll reheat it for several days, or freeze it for meals down the road.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.