What are You Baking the Week of July 12, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of July 12, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We had my cinnamon roll recipe for breakfast on Sunday morning. (The recipe is posted here at Nebraska Kitchen.) I made up the dough and shaped them last night, then refrigerated the pan until this morning. I put it on the counter while the oven heated. These came out well, although I substituted in an additional cup of white whole wheat flour. I thought the dough was slightly dry, so next time I make that substitution, I will increase the buttermilk by a tablespoon.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I am in the process of making the Maple Buttermilk Bread. Wow! Gassy? I guess so - it just kept growing while I worked with it! Mine was pretty wet, I should have added another 2 tablespoons or so of flour, although I did use 5 1/2 cups of AP, and used the bread machine. I followed the original recipe exactly this first time, except subbing canola oil for the butter. I've panned it in a 5 x 9 pan, and also shaped 6 hot dog buns of 75g each. I'll comment further after it's baked and cut.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I just made Gingerbread Cake with lemon glaze from All.recipes by Chef John.It smells really good will post when we cut it.

The cake was very good, best after it completely cooled.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Mike Nolan.
          • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Joan Simpson.
          cwcdesign
          Participant

I made KAF pan de mie, but subbed in 120g WWW and honey instead of sugar. I didn’t make any other adjustments. It came out beautifully, slice easily and tastes good. I made the dough in the Zo

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I don't know where my post went but I made a gingerbread cake with a lemon glaze today.It was from a recipe on Allrecipes.com by Chef John.I didn't have a half cup of molasses like it called for I only had about a third cup but that was plenty and I didn't have the Chinese 5 spice so I subbed 1/4 tsp of cloves.The cake was very good and moist.I baked it in 8x8 it called for 9x9 but I liked it,I'm not crazy about the molasses but it was a change.I think I'll find a recipe without molasses.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I think you fell into the spam filter.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

I made a sourdough loaf. But it came unraveled in the pan. Not sure it will be useful for sandwiches so I have another batch proofing in the refrigerator. I also need to make sourdough crackers and whole wheat bread.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Aaron you could use that bread for croutons.

Thanks Mike.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

Don't worry Joan. The only bread not eaten in this house is bread that is moldy. And sometimes even that is eaten...

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

Cut into the center of the loaf and it will be fine for sandwiches. The ends will be a little ragged.

I'll still make the other loaf I have in its first rise.

I also need to make whole wheat and need to make something with sour cream this week.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I won't eat obviously moldy bread, some bread molds are not harmful but some may be, and the color isn't always an accurate guide. (Red and yellow molds are the ones I've heard have to be avoided.)

There was an interesting story on the web over the weekend on the race to commercialize penicillin in the early 40's. While Dr. Fleming discovered penicillin in bread mold in the 20's, the most powerful commercial strain of it back in the 40's came from a moldy melon.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Monday evening, I made the dough for “Crispy Rye and Seed Crackers,” a recipe in Peter Reinhart’s Artisan Breads Every Day, (pp. 133-136). It’s a variation on the recipe in his Whole Grain Breads. I was not sure what kind of rye flour to use and decided to use medium rye. Instead of grinding flax seeds (I do not keep those in my pantry), I substituted flax meal by weight. I used canola oil and honey. The dough seemed a bit sticky, so I mixed in an additional tablespoon of white rye. (I had put the medium rye back in the apt. refrigerator and did not want to go get it again.) I did the brief kneading using white rye flour sprinkled on the mat. I’ve divided the dough into four pieces and refrigerated it, as he says it improves after a day or two in the refrigerator and can be held there for up to a week or frozen to use later. If the recipe works for us, I will have an additional cracker recipe. Due to the ground seeds, however, they only keep about eight days at room temperature. I suspect that would not be a problem at Aaron's house.

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

Eight days. For crackers. Ha ha ha ha... 🙂

I made more sourdough bread last night. I need to make some more crackers.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Eight minutes, Aaron? 🙂

We picked fourteen pounds of blueberries yesterday—not bad, but we will need to go back and pick more so that we can last out the year for baking with them, and for my husband eating them on his oatmeal. Today I experimented some more with my mother-in-law’s blueberry cobbler recipe. I looked at that cherry cobbler recipe that I made a few weeks ago (canned cherries) and noted the cake part is almost identical, except MIL’s does not use an egg. I decided to leave out the egg and follow my usual changes of reducing the salt, substituting buttermilk, and adjusting baking powder and baking soda. I also used 1/3 barley flour. I cut the vanilla to ½ tsp. The topping has never satisfied me; the original recipe took 4 Tbs. of butter, which is not typical for cobblers. I looked at the cherry cobbler recipe and decided to go with 1/3 cup sugar, ½ Tbs. cornstarch and 2 Tbs. water (neither in the original recipe), and 1 Tbs. butter and the usual 1 cup of blueberries. I cooked it on the stove top until thick. I then added ½ cup more of blueberries after removing from the heat. I baked it at 375F, as it was in a 9-inch round glass dish, on the third rack up in the oven for 28 minutes. The topping was a little too thick, so next time I’ll either reduce or eliminate the cornstarch.

I also must give thanks to my husband because as I was putting the lid on the vanilla, I knocked the measuring cup with buttermilk and vanilla off the counter. It went all over the floor, and me. The heavy measuring cup did not break on our ash floor. (It would have been a goner on the previous tile one.) While I ran upstairs to change clothes (should have been wearing an apron), my husband cleaned up the mess, so that I could return, replace the ingredients, and get the cobbler into the oven.

Italiancook
                                Participant

What a wonderful husband, BakerAunt!

I baked a Vanilla Cake with vanilla frosting from jennycancook.com. It's a new recipe on the site. I'm pleased with it. The recipe makes a one layer cake, and the frosting is enough to frost the top but not the sides. It wasn't labor intensive, so it's a keeper.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.