What are You Baking the Week of July 12, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of July 12, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Here we go again with the non-advancing page.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

The odd thing is it doesn't always happen when a thread hits a multiple of the block size (currently 15), so it must have something to do with how individual pages are counted, which may have to do with things like editing posts, the dreaded spam filter trap, etc.

I took a look at the code but it is so labyrinthine that I'm hesitant to even touch it.

KIDPIZZA
        Participant

MARLISS:
          My friend I went thru your recipe & it is in balance except you are employing too much cream. 1 cup 8, oz is best. = The weight of the liquids + the weight of the eggs 5 1/4 oz should be equal to the weight of the sugar with-in 15%. EGGS 5 1/4, oz..... plus 3/4 cup cup of whip cream = wt of the sugar (10,1/2 oz

Now for your GREASE as you call it. I have spoken about this concoction more than once before. The addition of OIL is being redundant. CRISCO is OIL... no need to add more oil. Measure out the Crisco.... melt it in the microwave oven Then spoon in the flour till you get the consistancy (sp) desired. I cannot make it simpler than that.

Your fancy bundt pan with all those weird curves requires a special cake release concoction. I will release my special edition to you for your use either over the phone/e~mail as I am able to do so.

Marliss enjoy the rest of the day.

~KIDPIZZA... CASS.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by KIDPIZZA.
          Italiancook
          Participant

I baked a cheese pizza. I used mozzarella, Romano, and milk provolone. Surprisingly, the milk provolone had flavor.

Italiancook
            Participant

No edit button, so the correction is: mild provolone!

chocomouse
              Participant

Good evening, Cass. It's good to hear from you and thank you for your detailed suggestions about my bagel baking.

Due to my arthritis, I use a bread machine to knead all my doughs. I've never had a problem with poor gluten development, although I do understand how that might result in a shriveled up product. I have used bread flour sometimes for my bagels, but we don't care for the real chewy bagels and find the combination of half bread flour and half AP (from KAF, with it's higher protein level) usually results in the perfect chew. Next time I make bagels, I will use your recommendation to boil them for 1.5 minutes per side. I appreciate your help!

My husband really likes this batch, and his only complaint is they are "skinny". I think they taste good, the outside is crisp, and the inside is dense but not overly chewy. I'll try the recipe again, and report back on the results.

skeptic7
                Participant

BakerAunt;
                  When I do blueberry scones ( its a muffin recipe but baked in a cast iron frying pan ). I don't add the blueberries immediately to the dough. I put a layer of dough without blueberries in the bottom of the pan, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the dough, then I mixed the blueberries with the rest of the dough and and add it to the pan. This should give me a layer of dough at the bottom of the frying pan without any blueberries and it does reduce sticking.
                  Now if I can remember to baked it throughly. The last pan was slightly undercooked. I think it needed to be cooked 5 minutes longer because of having the blueberries. I think I baked it last Wednesday, the days are running together in my head.

Your recipe seems to have more liquid than mine. Perhaps if you added a little more flour or reduced the buttermilk slightly?

Oh I baked a small whole wheat focaccio yesterday.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I have a similar problem when I make blueberry pancakes. I pour the batter onto the griddle, and then sprinkle blueberries over the top of each pancake. When I slip the pancake, the blueberries end up on the bottom, right on the griddle, and the berries stick a little. It just makes cleaning the griddle difficult.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Thanks, Skeptic. I was thinking along the same lines as you last night--perhaps put some of the batter in first, then mix in the blueberries. However, what is key is keeping the blueberries from touching the pan. I'd probably reduce the number of blueberries, as these are fairly large.

Yes, blueberries have lots of water, which makes canning pie filling with them challenging--it's never clear how much I will end up with to can.

I've not done blueberry pancakes for exactly the reason Chocomouse gives from her experience. Now that I bake a different kind of blueberry pie--which means I have some "blueberry syrup" left over, we have found that we like it with cornmeal pancakes and some maple syrup, rather than using the blueberry concoction to make a compote to go with the pie, which is fine as it is.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I really didn't want to turn on the oven again last night but my yearning for a chocolate cake got the better of me.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Cass tried to post information for me to help with the blueberry Bundt Cake, but he suffered the "disappearing post" syndrome that others of us have experienced. Sigh.

He did email me and tell me to reduce the buttermilk by half, from 1 1/2 to 3/4 cup and reduce the baking soda from 1 tsp. to 1/2 tsp.

I will give it another try after we finish the current one and report back.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

Mike - I did add a little honey my whole wheat bread.I replaced 15 grams of brown sugar with honey to see if that helps. My daughter saw me adding the honey and asked what I was making. She told me honey does not go with bread and I told her it was actually a regular ingredient in bread. She was surprised and curious.

It may be time to order some micro-perforation bags like Mike is using.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I saw another storage suggestion: wrap in paper or a towel.

aaronatthedoublef
                              Participant

BA Thanks.

I've tried that. You need to change the paper towel. Otherwise it pulls out moisture and then holds it against the bread.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

What about waxed paper?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.