What are you Baking the Week of July 19, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 19, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Supposed to get to 88 today, a lot better than yesterday, and only 80 tomorrow, so today and tomorrow are my baking windows, I guess.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Our temperatures were only in the low 80s, and then we were on the outskirts of a storm, which while it gave us very little rain, it did cool down to the 70s. I was glad because pizza was on the menu.

I made sourdough pan pizza for Sunday dinner. I experimented and replaced another ¼ cup of the AP flour with dark rye, for a total of ¾ cup rye. I needed to add an additional tsp. of water as it kneaded in the bread machine. It is ok, but not quite as light as the combination I have been using, so I’ll go back to it next time. My husband requested browned ground turkey as the meat. I used the 8 oz. of sauce that I made a few weeks back and froze and low-fat mozzarella. For vegetables, I added mushrooms, sliced onions, and halved black olives on my part. I did not add any additional spices, and I found the result bland, although my husband liked it. With ground turkey, I like some Tuscan seasoning and fennel, so next time, I will add it on my side. I did coarse grating on the Parmesan rather than the finer grating. I think it melts better with finer grating.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I made pancakes the old fashioned way yesterday instead of the sheet pan way. My kids like them better

I baked my sourdough loaf. It came out nicely with a little bit of side blowout. I think next time I will try a batard.

I tried to talk my family into ordering pizza last night but they wanted mine. I added red pepper flakes to veggie pizza and my wife was not happy with it. Oh well...

RiversideLen
          Participant

I want to bake a pizza on my charcoal bbq grill. I haven't done this before, does anyone have any advice?

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

A couple ways I know to do this:

1) Push the coals to one side and cook over the non-coal side.

2) Keep the grill well oiled

3) Dough on the grill. This requires you to par-cook the crust then add sauce, cheese, and toppings to the cooked side and and put it back on the grill.

Or

Put you pizza stone on the grill and cook on the stone the way you would in the oven.

If your oven only goes to 500 or 550 you can generate much higher heat with a charcoal grill.

rottiedogs
              Participant

I make pizza on my charcoal Weber pretty regularly. I do it with the hot charcoal spread all the way around the kettle with the center having no hot coals. Pizza goes on a stone over the open center and is done in about 18 minutes give or take what is on the pizza. You can also put it on a disposable pizza pan but that isn't as good as using the stone. I've never done it directly on the grate.

RiversideLen
                Participant

Thanks, Rottie and Aaron, I see there are many ways this could be done. What I'm thinking about is starting the pizza on a thin metal pizza pan and as the cheese is close to the way I like it, I'll check the bottom of the crust, if it's too pale then I'll slide it off the pan and let it finish over the coals. This is going to be a plain cheese pizza in case I mess it up, I won't have wasted other ingredients.

skeptic7
                  Participant

I did blueberry scone yesterday. This time I didn't underbake it! its tasty but a little tougher than I would like.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I wonder if a perforated pizza pan would work better in a charcoal grill?

If you've never tried to bake a pizza at 600 degrees or higher, it is a big change from using lower temperaturs.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I assume by now most of you have heard about the change at KAF to King Arthur Baking Company, and the new logo. I tried to start a new thread about this, but couldn't figure out how to do that. What do you think of the changes?

RiversideLen
                        Participant

The night before I made the dough in my food processor using 50 grams each of semolina and whole wheat and 125 grams of KA AP, a tsp of sugar, 1/2 tsp of yeast (I could have cut that in half) 1/4 tsp of salt and 150 grams of ice water and a scant tbsp of olive oil. The dough was slightly sticky and very easy to work with. The next day I preheated my grill with coals in the highest position. I stretched the dough out by hand, absolutely no snap back, on an oil pizza pan. Sauced it, then put parm and mozzarella on it and took it to the grill. I rotated the pan every 4 minutes and about 8 minutes in I could smell some burn so I checked the bottom crust, and it was burning some. Then I lowered the coals one notch and continued for 4 more minutes for a total of 12 minutes on the grill.

IMG_0872

I took the pizza inside and not satisfied with the top I placed it under the broiler for a minute or two.

61698245561__736CB658-D246-4A84-BE82-6D21D5ED9EBF

As you can see, the top crust remained pale but it was done and had a little crunch to it. The topping was not quite as dark as the pic shows. I sliced wedges and examined the bottom, there was moderate burning. I have a tolerance for some burn so I ate some. It tasted good.

What I have learned, I need to have the coals to a lower position or use an indirect heat method. If I do this again I will lower the coals 2 notches and see how that works.

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Len your pizza looks good.

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

Looks good Len.

Did you have the lid off the entire time? It might help cook the top if you lowered the lid for a time.

chocomouse
                              Participant

That looks really good, Len. We've learned that opening the top of the grill lets out a ton of hot air, much more than opening the oven door. As Aaron asks, did you have the lid off? Or, if shut, maybe don't rotate the pizza as frequently or open the lid to check doneness.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I had the lid closed the entire time except to rotate it. Next time I think I won't rotate it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.