What are you Baking the week of July 5, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of July 5, 2020?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

Today I made lemon cookies for my husband to take to a potluck cookout tomorrow evening. They are delicious. I used the recipe for Ooey Gooey Lemon Cookies from Iambaker, with a few changes. I added 2 heaping tablespoons of flour to get the consistency I believed would yield a nice soft but chewy cookie, and that was perfect. I also used lemon oil from Lorann, and about a teaspoon of TrueLemon crystals. The recipe calls for 1 stick of butter and 1 8 oz pkg of cream cheese -- what's not to like?! Now my husband has requested another batch (since this made only 42 cookies! that's his excuse, anyway) but raspberry flavored. I've searched my pantry and found I do have raspberry oil from Lorann (Yes, TJ Maxx, BakerAunt!) and I'll also use some of the raspberry cordial my husband makes every summer.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Italian cook your muffins sounds good and Chocomouse your cookies too,I love anything lemon.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I made my version of the KAF online recipe (revised from the Whole Grain Baking Book) for Maple Granola on Wednesday. We had a nice, albeit short, rain, as we did yesterday, which has cooled us from the heat, at least for now. I hope we get more rain.

chocomouse
          Participant

Today I made raspberry cookies, using the lemon cookie recipe. They are OK, but not as strong a raspberry flavor as the strong lemon. I had to add a lot of raspberry oil as well as a lot of raspberry liquor. Therefore, I also had to add more flour. So the cookies are borderline chewy-cakey. My husband really like them; I much prefer the lemon. Of course, I love lemon anyway!

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

I made pancakes again and again without buttermilk, powdered or otherwise.

But I do have KAF special bakers' milk powder and tried that. The pancakes did not rise higher. But I think I need to add more of the powder. With Saco powdered buttermilk the instructions say to add a tablespoon per quarter cup of liquid. I'll try that this week.

What seems to make the biggest difference in the loft of the pancakes is the thickness of the batter. The batter always puffs up it's just a matter of how long it holds it. And if it's too thick then the batter doesn't spread on the griddle. So like most things baked having the right level of hydration is key. And with pancakes this changes over time as the baking soda reaction dissipates. And each time I stick the scoop in to collect batter it degases it a little. So the last pancakes are always flatter than the first.

I wonder if I mixed the batter in a pitcher and poured it what effect that would have.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Friday is cooler but muggy. We had one small rain, and with the clouds hope to get more, but nothing yet. I pulled out that recipe for All-Purpose Maple Buttermilk Bread that I posted about in its own thread and decided to bake it today. The loaf looks good. I've posted about it on the thread with the recipe link.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I made sandwich buns again.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I made semolina bread, with 2/3 semolina/durum and 1/3 AP and regular sugar instead of malt syrup.

Came out REALLY good.

skeptic7
                    Participant

I made cheese pizza on Saturday.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.