Would Cranberry Relish and Ricotta Work in a Sweet Roll?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Would Cranberry Relish and Ricotta Work in a Sweet Roll?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I've been thinking about Skeptic's dessert pizza with cranberry sauce and ricotta. I wondered if it could be used as a filling for sweet rolls or even a bread--rather like that lemon bread with the crisscross dough. I have 5 oz. of ricotta left over from when I made the lasagna, and I still have some cranberry cherry cardamom relish.

I haven't used ricotta very much. I usually use the leftover to make lemon cookies (Olive/Tomato recipe), but it might be nice to try something different, My husband is not a cranberry fan, but I I make a glaze for the bread or the sweet rolls, he would probably eat it.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this with ricotta?

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

The ricotta in a cannoli usually has some sugar added, would the cranberry sauce supply much sweetness, it tends to be tart.

BakerAunt
        Participant

My cranberry sauce uses 12 oz. cranberries, 1 cup dried cherries, and 1 cup light brown sugar. It also has cardamom. It is still tart but in a sweet way, if that makes sense.

chocomouse
          Participant

I think that combo should work fine in the recipe for the lemon braid. The consistency of the filling would be about the same. It sure sounds delicious.

skeptic7
            Participant

I'd be willing to come over and help you eat it! I think it would be fine. I like the idea of it in the lemon braid bread. The cranberry sauce might be a little runny. I had a dam of ricotta cheese on the edge of the pizza to help keep it in place.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Thanks, all! I am going to give it a try with the lemon braid recipe, possibly with my sweet roll dough.

BakerAunt
                Participant

After some consultation with the folks at Nebraska Kitchen, I experimented today to bake Braided Cranberry Ricotta bread. I used my normal cinnamon roll dough but increased the sugar from ¼ to 1/3 cup and the avocado oil from 3-4 Tbs. I used half whole wheat flour. I increased the buttermilk by 1 Tbs. As usual, I let the bread machine do the kneading.
                  For the filling, I used a scant cup of my Cranberry, Dried Cherries, and Cardamom sauce. It is uncooked, and Mike had suggested cranberry sauce might be a bit runny, so I added a bit of oil to a skillet, then added the cranberry sauce. I mixed 3 Tbs. light brown sugar with 1 Tbs. ClearJel, which I sprinkled over the sauce. I cooked until thickened, then set it aside to cool
                  I rolled the dough out to an 11 x 16 rectangle and followed the instructions for a braided loaf from the King Arthur Braided Lemon Bread recipe that Chocomouse uses. I spread 5 oz. low-fat ricotta down the center and topped it with the cranberry sauce. I got the idea for that combination from Skeptic's dessert pizza. Shaping requires cutting away four one-inch rectangles at each corner. After I had made the braid, I braided the small pieces into a roll.
                  I baked for 30 minutes, taking the little roll out after 15 minutes. It is hard to know when a braided bread is done. I checked at 25 minutes and decided to give it another five. The bottom seems a bit overdone; I might use doubled baking sheets next time. I'm letting it cool, and then I will add some glaze in order to entice my husband to try a recipe that has cranberries in it.

I'll post about taste and texture once we have some for dessert tonight.

I love the way we can bounce off of each other in our baking experiments!

BakerAunt
                  Participant

The braid looks and tastes delicious. The only thing I would do differently is a doubled baking sheet to prevent the bottom from overbrowning. My husband loves it, probably because the cranberry is understated, in part because I cooked and sweetened it, but also due to the ricotta. The glaze also helps.

I look forward to trying this recipe with other fillings.

skeptic7
                    Participant

I'm glad this turned out well. I am glad you cooked the cranberry sauce its full of natural pectin so it thickens naturally when cooked.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.