What Did You Cook the Week of January 1, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking β€” (other than baking) What Did You Cook the Week of January 1, 2017?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My husband cooked a New Year's dinner of pork chops, then on Tuesday he roasted a turkey. We have been happily eating our way through leftovers, and I devoted all my time to baking. πŸ™‚

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Wednesday we got back from two weeks on the road over the holidays, both of us with the dregs of a bad cold, so it's been mostly chicken soup and other easy to make comfort foods. Tonight I made a pot roast, it was excellent and the house will smell like pot roast for another 24 hours. πŸ™‚

RiversideLen
        Participant

On Jan 1, I roasted a strip roast. I followed Cook's Country recommendation and roasted it at 250. I used a probe type thermometer and removed it when it reached 125, then tented it and let it come up to 135, which was my target. Perfection! The internal color was absolutely even throughout with no gray banding at the edge.

Today I wanted to try something a little different for a pizza, so I made a very simple mushroom tapenade. I rolled out the dough very thin, spread the tapenade over it, topped it with a light amount of mozzarella and baked it at 500 for 6 minutes. It was great. I have some tapenade left for tomorrow's pizza.

Italiancook
          Participant

Sorry to hear you have illness in your household, Mike. I hope you both recover quickly and completely.

RiversideLen, I have never before heard of a "strip roast." Is it related to a strip steak?

I wanted a restful week again, so I made a cheese ball for lunches with crackers. I planned on trying a new potato salad recipe. I skimmed the recipe, decided I had all the ingredients and put the potatoes and eggs to boil. When they were ready, I read the recipe and discovered I had overlooked that it has sugar in it. I wasn't interested in the recipe anymore and threw it away. Fortunately, I had sour cream, so I made potato salad with sour cream, mayo, celery seeds, onion, and a touch of yellow mustard. That lasted a while.

I used a KAF spice blend for Kelsey Nixon's (Cooking Channel) Slow Cooker Irish Oatmeal. It's called Yuletide Cheer Spice. It tasted good, but I missed cinnamon, which is not in this blend. When I make it again, I'll add a smidgen of cinnamon. Not a lot, just a little. I don't want the cinnamon to drown out the other flavors.

RiversideLen
            Participant

Yes Italiancook, a strip roast is the piece they would cut strip steaks from if steaks were desired.

luvpyrpom
              Participant

Simple stuff this week - roast pork which took us a few days to eat and then last night I made steamed pork ribs with fermented black beans, garlic, and fresh ginger. Also did a saute of soy bean sprouts with Chinese sausage.

cwcdesign
                Participant

I forgot to mention last week that my brother had given our name to Blue Apron for a free box of 3 meals. They did not make it clear that you could decide when you wanted your box to come or that you could skip a week. So our box for 2 people arrived on December 23rd. We were not able to get to it for almost a week. We've made 2 of the 3 meals and are not sure the third one is still fresh. If it is I will make it today. The recipes were OK, but we were not impressed. The cost is approximately $60 per week for 3 meals for 2 people. Just to note, these are designed as healthy, portioned controlled servings, however . . .

The first one we tried was Chicken with sage gravy, carrots and mashed potatoes. All the ingredients for the recipe were included except oil - the recipe said there were 2 chicken breasts. What we found were one chicken breast sliced horizontally into two cutlets (I have no problem with cutlets; just tell me it's 2 cutlets not 2 chicken breasts), 2 carrots and one potato. I was supposed to make carrots and mashed potatoes for 2 with that. I added 4 carrots and the leftover mashed potatoes from our other dinner to make sure there was enough food for my 23yo. The chicken was a little tough.

This week we tried cabbage enchiladas. I roasted the cabbage with onions and it was delicious, nice and sweet, until I added the other ingredients which made the filling heavy. It was supposed to feed 3 people (6 enchiladas), but only had 3 ounces of cheese. I added more, because, well, its cheese and not so much as I might have because, well, I'm still trying to watch what I eat. They were very filling, but not satisfying. We couldn't eat more, but didn't feel like we'd eaten, if that makes any sense.

I'm sure this works for some people, but I'm going to stick to my healthy sheet pan and crockpot dinners that cost less and feed us for a couple of days.

Oh, and I also made a chicken salad with celery, walnuts and dried cranberries with half mayo/half yogurt for the dressing. Yummy. And, will made his special hamburgers with caramelized onions, bacon, cheese and his special sauce which are always great. I had mine with no bun, reduced fat cheese and one slice of center cut bacon.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

New Years I cooked Black eyed peas,rice and fried chicken with some corn bread,just the two of us so not much cooking.I made a pot of hamburger vegetable soup with grilled cheese sandwich.We like Mexican food so we had Taco Salad one night.Simple here too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.