What Did You Bake the Week of November 27, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of November 27, 2016?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

When we were in California for Thanksgiving, I was given some lemons from trees in my nephew's and my sister's yards, so on Thursday I started to use them by baking six jumbo Lemony Cornmeal Blueberry Muffins. The original recipe, from Abby Mandel, appeared perhaps 25 years ago in The Los Angeles Times food section. I always cut the sugar in half and reduce the oil, and they are great. This time, I also increased the cornmeal slightly and reduced the AP flour, and I added 2 Tbs. of lemon juice (recipe only used lemon zest) along with dried blueberries. On Thursday, I followed Cwcdesign's lead and baked the KAF Butter Pecan Biscotti using Butterfinger chips. I must cut mine large, even though I cut them diagonally, as I only had about 44, but they taste great. Five minutes before I sliced them, I spritzed them with water (a hint from another KAF biscotti recipe that makes them easier to slice without crumbling. I also baked a gingerbread recipe that came with the Nordic Ware medium 2-cottages pan. It actually requires two pans, which I have. The recipe calls for melting the butter before it is mixed in. Recently, I've baked two Bundt cakes that use this technique, and the designs seem sharper. The biscotti and gingerbread houses went to a bake sale for local social services. On Saturday, I baked two loaves of Grape Nuts Bread. I also baked Eggnog cake in a Bundt Christmas wreath pan to take for after service social time at my church tomorrow. For dinner, I made the KAF Thin Crust Pizza.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I baked KAF Pumpkin Cake for the first time. I didn't have golden raisins, so I used regular raisins, which I think are purple. I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil, and the cake still tasted fine. I always use olive oil instead of vegetable oil when baking. Makes me think the calories in the cake are more healthful. I used the icing that goes with this recipe.

The recipes calls for making it in a half-sheet pan, but it includes the measurements for making it in a 9x13 pan. I used the half-sheet pan. As I frosted the cake, I thought there wasn't enough icing. It made such a thin layer that I could see the cake underneath. But when I ate the cake, I decided it had the right amount of icing. Anymore, and the frosting would have been too sugary for me.

Because I had such a large cake, I froze most of it in serving pieces.

I had opened a large can of pumpkin puree, so I had leftover. I used that to make a loaf of Pumpkin Bread. For the first time, I used KAF Winter Spice in it. I don't know how that turned out. My HVAC man came to work on the furnace thermostat. I gave him gasoline money and the loaf of bread.

There's more pumpkin puree left, so I'm going to tuck a banana in the freezer to use to make a Pumpkin Smoothie this week.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Italiancook.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

I baked a Lemon Chess Pie from Mennonite Girls Can Cook and it was so good and smooth,loved it.Baked a chocolate pie it was just OK.

cwcdesign
          Participant

So I had a marathon of baking biscotti for the garden club bake sale yesterday - 6 bakers dozens of Pecan Butterfinger, 5 of Mrs Cindy's Nutella Brownie and 4 cranberry pistachio (KAF). I cut them straight across so they were about 3-3½" long and about ½" thick - they worked out well and 11 bags were sold. I bought back the last 4 to give away. I also baked another Irish Chocolate Cake for a dinner party.

luvpyrpom
            Participant

Got a little more baking this week - I still need to work on my pie crust skills, I think I finally got a good crust recipe and am thinking about making a crust mix leaving out the butter/margarine until I'm ready to make the crust. I generally use real butter for gift giving or friends and margarine/vegan butter for myself and immediate family members. On Tuesday, I made a coconut macaroon pie and pie fries with the leftover pie edges. The crust was definitely flaky and tender. On Friday, I made ham and cheese scones that had butter and cream in it. I think I over worked it as I had rolled it out and it came out pretty flat. Another thought was that there wasn't enough a baking powder as there was only 2 tsp for 2 cups of flour. Plus, I had used a little bit of pastry flour in it, too. I guess I'll have to try to make them again in the future. Then on Saturday, I made maple bacon crack after work as we had a potluck on Sunday. The first time I hade made it, it was way too sweet. This time I changed it - instead of pouring maple syrup all over and drenching it everywhere, I just took a brush and brushed a light coating of maple syrup over the croissant dough. And then sprinkle with bacon bits and a little bit of brown sugar. Less sweet more able to appreciate the sweet/salty thing.

Bakeraunt, your cornmeal lemon blueberry muffins sounds yummy, can you share the recipe? Or is it already in the recipe section?

BakerAunt
              Participant

Luvpyrpom: It's not in the recipe section yet, but I will add it as soon as I can--probably in the next couple of days.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Hi, Luvpyrpom: I have now added the Lemony Cornmeal-Blueberry Muffins to the recipe section here. I'm sorry it took me so long. I hope that you enjoy them--either in my version, or in the original version.

luvpyrpom
                  Participant

Bakeraunt, thank you for posting your recipe! I just saw it and it looks pretty easy! Do you know if I can use frozen blueberries? I love the lemon and blueberry combo.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Frozen blueberries should be fine--perhaps increase the baking time a bit? I'm not sure, but you might wait until the batter has set for those 15 minutes before folding in frozen blueberries.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Frozen blueberries seem to release more juice than fresh blueberries and that can affect baking times.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.