What Did You Bake the Week of July 17, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of July 17, 2016?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Tuesday, I baked Raisin Bran Muffins for breakfast. In late afternoon, I baked Ruth Wakefield's Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars from the King Arthur Cookie Baking Companion. As I can never leave a recipe alone, I make some regular substitutions. I always use a bag of M&Ms, I substitute in 1/2 cup of white whole wheat flour and add 1/4 cup pecan meal, and I add 2 Tbs. of flax meal, one of which I mix with 3 Tbs. of water as a substitute for one of the three eggs. I served these when some of the relatives from my husband's family reunion came over to watch moonrise from our lake cottage. On Thursday, I baked Wheat-Oat Flax Buns (KAF recipe) for sandwiches and Sloppy Josephine's. Here again, I make changes. I delete the orange juice. I use 3/4 cups of buttermilk, in which I soak the oats, and 1/4 cup of water for activating the yeast. I put in 2 Tbs. of special dried milk. I use a whole egg in the dough instead of just the yolk (and do not do an egg wash on the buns). This time, I reduced the yeast from 2 1/2 tsp. to 2 1/4 tsp. Next time, I will reduce the salt as well. On Saturday afternoon, I tried a new recipe for Barley Brownies from the Bob's Red Mill barley flour package. Its only flour is barley. My husband and I both gave it a thumbs up. This evening, I'm making blueberry sweet rolls, using a dough recipe adapted from Recipes from the Old Mill: Baking with Whole Grains. I had some frozen blueberry pie filling from last year, so I used it as a filling. It was a bit messy, but they are now shaped and on the second rise. We will have them for breakfast tomorrow.

Update: Those sweet rolls--with the blueberry pie filling--are wonderful. It is definitely a good idea not to use too sweet of a dough. I also substituted in a cup of buttermilk and 2 Tbs. of honey for half the sugar to see if that will keep the rolls softer longer. I'll report on that at the end of the week.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Baked a cake (see the 'semi-flopped cake' thread for details.)

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Baked a Red Velvet Cake was real good,haven't baked one in years.

Italiancook
          Participant

I had to pay the piper by cleaning both ovens. That's a four day project, although I'm not working on them for long . . . well, cleaning the racks by hand is a time-consuming task. The racks took two days. Consequently, the only item I baked was a yellow cake, which I've talked about in the semi-flop thread.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I haven't tried it on the oven racks yet, but I've got a spray can of Carbon-Off that removed 18 years of built-up carbon from the stainless steel backsplash on my stove better than hours and hours of scrubbing ever did, so I think it'd do a great job on the racks. I'll have to try that the next time I clean them (and if I do I'll try to remember to take before-and-after pictures.)

Carbon-Off is what professional kitchens use.

It's available at restaurant supply stores in both a spray and brush-on liquid form. Be sure to use gloves and eye protection in a well-ventilated area.

Italiancook
              Participant

I have a trip to the restaurant supply store on my to-do list. I'll look to see if they have Carbon-Off. Sounds faster than scrubbing each rack tine with an abrasive pad. Thanks for the information, Mike.

luvpyrpom
                Participant

Made Lemon Blueberry muffins and had read on the KAF blog about converting muffin recipes to loaf pan cakes. So did that too. Also tried making my own muffin liners with parchment paper. They didn't stick at all. Nice to know for future muffins/cupcakes for work.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Luvpyrpom--did you cut circles of parchment and plop in the muffins? I'm intrigued.

luvpyrpom
                    Participant

Bakeraunt, I had read an article from The Kitchen.com about it. Just cut them into squares, found a soda can close to size and wrapped the parchment around the end. Kinda get it started in shape and fix the folds. I miscalculated this time, had initially measured the muffin wells and thought the 5" squares would be too small. So I cut 7.5" squares. Way too big. Next time I'll cut smaller. They come out looking like those tulip papers that you can buy. And way easier to pull out since the muffins go up the liners instead of out. And you can just grab the liner to pull them out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.