What are you Cooking the Week of September 3, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of September 3, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm running out of things to do with zucchini!

I did try some of the zucchini dill relish on a hotdog and it was OK, but I think I prefer the tomato relish recipe I have posted here.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

You've probably done this already, Mike, but I've always enjoyed sauteed zucchini in pasta sauce. Sauteed zucchini in an omelet is good too. Also goes good on pizza.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I've not tried zucchini in tomato sauce, but the zucchini tomato casserole recipe I found this summer is a definite keeper.

I've got two spaghetti squash that have set, both are about grapefruit sized.

We had tomato soup and fried cheese sandwiches for supper, something mild.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I went to my friends home for a cookout.Fun and relaxing.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Mike--I second Len's suggestions. I've been using zucchini with tomato and pasta for the past month.

I had a busy day in the kitchen. I made yogurt. I also made a dent in the pile of tomatoes and made tomato sauce.

For Sunday dinner, I made a new recipe from Kenji Lopez-Alt at Serious Eats: "Summer Vegetables Lasagna with Zucchini, Squash, Eggplant, and Tomato. I had signed up for their emails, and this recipe was featured recently. I also found a lovely eggplant at the farmers market. I used a regular zucchini and a golden arrow zucchini, which is a lovely yellowish orange. While the recipe requires sauteing the slices in olive oil, I followed one commentator's suggestion and brushed them with olive oil and roasted them in a single layer at 400 for 30 minutes. My other change was to replace the butter with olive oil and use 1% milk for the white sauce. To thicken it a bit, I added 1 Tbs. flax meal. I also did not soak the oven-ready lasagna noodles, which is not necessary. That meant I did not put a final layer of noodles on the top. The lasagna was excellent, and perfect for a vegetarian meal.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I had a leftover stuffed pepper and a large salad.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made a quart of raspberry ice cream today. I made the custard yesterday, as I use eggs which need to be cooked, and then I chill the custard overnight. So today I got the ice cream maker going and when I guessed that the ice cream was about 10 minutes from being finished, I added a cup plus of berries that I had individually frozen on a cookie tray. I also added about 2 tablespoons of rum to the custard, to keep it from freezing too hard.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

For my bonus daughter's birthday dinner, I roasted a chicken. I also made Pepperidge Farm Stuffing (blue bag) that I saved for this occasion, as it is her favorite, and she has not had it for a couple of years. We also had microwaved fresh green beans from the garden and homemade applesauce from the freezer. Dessert, of course, was the chocolate cake with the white chocolate cream cheese and butter frosting.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I had a ham and tomato sandwich with oranges for dessert.

Chocomouse your ice cream sounds so good.

BakerAunt your Birthday dinner for your bonus daughter sounds very good too.I know she was pleased.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Diane is having a ham and cheese omelet, I'm having leftover ribs.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I had a ham and tomato sandwich with a peach.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

We had leftover vegetarian lasagna, leftover turkey loaf, leftover stuffing, and an ear of corn each, as well as more birthday cake!

chocomouse
                            Participant

Leftovers here, too! My husband had seafood and cauliflower salads, and I had a chicken thigh and steam pea pods. Then he had a huge bowl of raspberry ice cream, it looked just like the huge bowl he had after lunch earlier today. So the ice cream I made yesterday is almost gone!! I licked out the freezer bowl right after I made it; that's probably all I will get.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I made pizza crust on Saturday, enough for two pies. I made one on Saturday, I made the second one today. Had it with a side of broccoli.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made a hamburger, had it with mashed tater and broccoli and carrot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.