What are you Cooking the Week of September 13, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of September 13, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm planning to bake a small ham for supper, it has been marinating in ginger ale overnight.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had tuna salad sandwiches and french fries.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The ham was excellent, and I made home-made potatoes au gratin, though I forgot the sour cream. Adding it after the fact meant the sauce wasn't quite as smooth.

Oh, and I was wrong, the Avergne wheat-rye went fairly well with the ham, it brings out the latent sweetness of that rye bread more than it did with another deli-style rye bread that I also had available.

skeptic7
          Participant

I did green split pea soup in the crockpot. This unfortunately has turned out brown instead of green, does anyone know what is likely to cause this? I don't know for certain but it was likely overcooked. I started cooking this on high for a couple of hours, then I threw in some sweet potato and cooked it on low overnight. I didn't want to overcook the sweet potato so I added it last.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Perhaps the sweet potato interacted with the split peas?

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We had fried cubed pork,macaroni and cheese and green butter beans from the freezer.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I made another batch of tomato sauce. I freeze it in 1-quart yogurt containers, which is about 3 ¾ cup, which is a good amount for what I use when I cook.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I made sloppy joe's with chips and pork-n-beans,we had the sloppy joe's on light bread.

chocomouse
                    Participant

My husband had a BLT and I had a favorite dinner: leftover grilled chicken thigh, broccoli salad, and a green salad.

skeptic7
                      Participant

Monday night, I did an eye of round roast. 6.8 lbs baked at 300 degrees for about 2 1/2 hours to about 130 degrees. I refrigerated it overnight and then sliced it for sandwiches. Most of it is in the freezer, but I had a sandwich yesterday. Its wonderful when things are cool enough to use the oven. This is the only recipe I have for eye of round. Top round, bottom round and eye of round all are tempting in the grocery store, but I don't know good methods of cooking them. What have other people tried? These are normally a good price so I wish I could use them for something.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I use a dry-roast for eye of round (low and slow) but not for bottom round, I prefer a braise for it. Bottom round is a good cut for Italian Beef, but you really need a slicer to cut it really thin. I generally used bottom round for boeuf bourguignon, though I've used top round for it, too. I like top round for shiskabob.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Tonight I sauteed chicken breast in oil and vinegar dressing with some onions and a dab of honey they were really good,creamed corn and I had 3 small red potatoes that I cut up with skin on and made potato salad.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Dinner for tonight is salmon and couscous with Greek seasoning, along with microwaved frozen peas.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

We had leftover spaghetti squash-turkey "lasagna," microwaved frozen peas, and two ears each of the last sweet corn of the season (the farm is sold out as of this afternoon). It is delectable--the best we have eaten this season.

chocomouse
                                Participant

BLTs. Maybe the last of the season, as we expect a deep frost tomorrow night. I'll pick a few (30-40) more tomatoes to make and freeze sauce destined to become soup this winter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.