What are you Cooking the Week of October 3, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 3, 2021?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We had spaghetti with meat sauce and cheese toast.

I picked over 40 pounds of Winesap apples yesterday, I need to start processing them in the morning. Most of them I will turn into apple pie filling, but I think I may make a strudel, too. You are supposed to be able to freeze unbaked apple strudel, so I might make more than one.

I don't know if you can cut apples up for strudel and freeze them, then put them in the pastry before baking it.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Tonight we had fried pork chops,white acre peas,sliced tomatoes and macaroni and cheese.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I roasted a chicken in the Dutch oven. I put down a layer of celery, onion, carrots and garlic and then the chicken on top and added a cup of white wine. I seasoned the chicken with herbes de Provence, thyme, salt and pepper and roasted it covered at 400f. It was done in less than an hour and a half. The broth is really tasty but a tad sweet. I think I'm going to leave the broth natural and have it with brown rice.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I find when cooking with wine that adding a little acid helps cut the sweetness. I've got home made carrot and celery vinegars that work well for this, plus I have several bottles of white and red wine vinegars from the wine teacher at UNL, his standard Christmas present to my wife.

We had hot dogs for supper.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

We had fried cubed steak,mashed potatoes and I heated a can of okra,corn and tomatoes and we had that over the potatoes.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I'm going to have to try that roasted chicken in a Dutch oven, Len.

For dinner on Saturday night, I thawed 4 cups of black-eyed peas that I had cooked a while back. I added them to celery and chopped ham that I first sauteed in avocado oil, along with 1 ½ tsp. rehydrated Penzey’s dried onions and a tsp. of dried parsley. I mixed in brown rice that I made in the rice cooker. It was an easy, planned ahead, dinner.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.