What are you Cooking the Week of October 3, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 3, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We've got several pounds of roast beef for leftovers, that should get us through a few days.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I made a lentil soup for Sunday dinner in one of my large Dutch ovens with carrots, celery, two yellow peppers from our garden (never turned red), ground turkey, mushrooms, frozen broth, 1 ¼ cups brown lentils, ¼ cup red lentils, 2 tsp. dehydrated onion, two small green zucchini, one large yellow squash, 1 tsp. thyme, 1 tsp. sage, ½ tsp. rosemary, and ¼ tsp. Penzey’s sweet curry. We have leftovers for at least two more meals.

I also made tomato sauce from some of our garden tomatoes.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Your lentil soup sounds delicious, BA.

I had leftover chicken stew with brown rice.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I agree with Len,your soup sounds delicious BakerAunt.

We had BBQ from leftover pork tenderloin,baked beans and fries.

chocomouse
            Participant

I made 6 more pints of hot pepper relish this morning. I've now used up my 2 5-gallon pails of peppers - relish or into the freezer.

I will be making cheesesteak for dinner tonight, on sub buns I made this morning.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We had sausage,leftover peas with snaps ,candied sweet potatoes,macaroni and tomatoes and beets.Cleaning out the fridge.

Glad you've gotten everything fixed back up in the kitchen Mike and hope your wife is doing well with the shoulder.

Cheesesteaks are one of my favorites Chocomouse and Rubens are too.

cwcdesign
                Participant

Put this in the wrong thread - will edit it out when I get home
                  Last night I made buckwheat crepes for the first time and filled them with sautéed spinach and mushrooms with Jarlsberg for the cheese – it’s a good substitution for gruyere.

Tonight I’m making pasta with chicken sausage, broccoli and red peppers (can you tell what we have on hand?)

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had hamburger steaks with onion and mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes.

Went grocery shopping today and Publix had KAF "00 pizza flour " for $6.99 cheaper than from KAF I've never bought pizza flour but they had a good variety of it and lots more,Target had a good variety also.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We had to run some errands ahead of supper and thought we might pick something up for supper while we were out. Considered several fast food places, nothing really struck our fancy. So we thought we’d go to Village Inn, a local pancake/diner chain. Turns out they’ve downsized their menu and got rid of both of the items we were thinking we’d order, waffles for her and a chicken pot pie for me.

So we went home and made pancakes, but my wife mis-read the recipe and added too much milk, so the first batch came out really thin, so thin she couldn’t flip one. I ate the one she could flip, it was sort of odd, kind of like a crisp crepe. We added some more flour to the batter and the rest of the pancakes were thicker.

I suspect a chicken pot pie will be on the menu soon, gives me a chance to play a little with the hot water crust recipe, I'm trying to figure out the optimal thickness for a pot pie so I can update the pie dough chart post, which has become the most popular page on this site in my monthly page view stats from Google.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had chicken-n-yellow rice,green beans and fresh rolls.

Italiancook
                        Participant

Spaghetti is not fettuccini . . . nor is it linguini. I planned Fettuccini Alfredo for dinner. When I went to my small stack of flat pasta boxes, I discovered I didn't have fettuccini. I also didn't have linguini, which I've used in a pinch for Alfredo. I decided to make Spaghetti Alfredo. Bad idea. It had all the ingredients of Alfredo, but didn't taste like it. The sauce clings to the flat pastas, which are wider than spaghetti, but it doesn't cling as tastily to spaghetti.

We had it with cucumber salad and, a dense loaf of bread from the freezer. I had taken out the bread at 6:30 A.M., so it was thawed. I put the bread in an 180* oven for five minutes or so to bring it back to life.

In addition to stores in my area having empty pasta shelves, I've read two articles that say there's a pasta shortage. So I have no hope of buying fettuccini or linguini this fall. Maybe in the spring.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Our dinner last night was chicken thighs on the grill, spaghetti squash with garlic butter, and a mix of fresh from the garden steamed broccoli and zucchini.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I don't buy pasta very often, except for Kraft macaroni and cheese boxes and the cheese tortellini that Costco has. I did buy some orchiette to make minestrone with a couple of years ago, used half the package and eventually threw out the rest. (I thought the minestrone was good, my wife didn't like that I had added summer squash to it.)

Most of the time I make pasta myself using the KA pasta kit, I like the semolina egg pasta recipe that came with the KA pasta kit, it makes good spaghetti, fettuccine and lasagna noodles.

My KA pasta kit came with two cutter, one is called spaghetti or linguini, though I think it is sort of in between those two shapes, not exactly flat but not really round, either. There's also a fettuccine cutter, and I use it for both fettuccine and soup noodles, the former I try to get to the '4' setting on the roller, soup noodles I usually do at '3'. If I want wide noodles, I hand cut them after rolling them out.

One of my projects this winter is to try making Chinese pulled noodles. I ran across a 'how-to' article that says the secret is adding yeast flakes (non-fermenting) to relax the gluten.

If I'm making something that is usually served on noodles, I generally prefer to make spaetzle, using the recipe that Grizzlybiscuits posted to the original KAF site.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Last night we had lima bean soup using leftover beans and rice,added a carrot,celery and onion with chicken stock and diced up half a tomato.Tasted good and leftovers are gone.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Tonight we had breakfast sausages cooked with sliced apples all sprinkled with brown sugar and cinnamon, along with cole slaw and corn bread muffins. This is one of our favorite fall meals.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.