What are you Cooking the Week of October 22, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 22, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

My niece had Dairy Queen chicken basket and fries I had a sandwich and chips.

navlys
      Participant

My neighbor brought over her chicken noodle soup. Will be in the upper 70's today vs 50's 2 days ago. Will still be good I'm sure.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I had a ham and tomato sandwich with chips.Tangy pickle Doritos they are so good.My niece wanted Raisin Bran Crunch.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For Thursday's dinner, I made Turkey, Mushroom, and Spinach Lasagna. We had coleslaw as well.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I made a big batch of apple pie filling today, enough for at least 4 apple pies. I've got enough Winesap apples for another big batch of pie filling next week.

I'm testing to see what happens if I can the pie filling in the pressure canner. A widemouth quart jar holds about 880 grams of pie filling, that'd probably be enough for an 8" pie, but I usually use around 1150 grams for a 9 or 9 1/2 inch pie. So I also put up 2 pints, so one of each should work for the larger size pie pan, with a little left over for Diane to snack on.

I wound up with 3 quarts and 2 pints in the canner, plus enough to make a pie tonight.

I'm also testing the apple scraps jelly recipe. You start by taking the skins and peels, add water, and boil them until they're mushy, which takes several hours. I'm hoping to get to the jelly itself later this evening.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

2 quarts and 1 pint sealed, the other quart looks like it needed more liquid and wound up with too much head space, and the other pint must have a defective band because the band and lid were both off when I opened the canner. Because I was using the pressure canning method rather than a hot water bath, most of the contents are still in the jar, I'll stick it in the fridge and plan to either use it or freeze it soon.

I'm wondering if I need to have some warm sugar syrup/cider on hand to add to jars to make sure the head space is right.

So I get to scrub out the pressure canner again. :sigh:

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I didn't all the juice from the apple scraps for jelly tonight, but I did get 3 7/8 half-pint jars of it from about half of the juice. We'll see how it looks and tastes in the morning, but I think it'll jell up decently. It has a bit of a red tint to it because I used red apple skins. From what I tasted this evening, it's a bit different from the apple jelly I used to help my mother make 60+ years ago.

I'll probably make another batch with the rest of the juice, but I'm about out of half-pint jars.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I'm not sure if my apple scrap jelly set, though it looked good in the pan. It looks like all 4 jars sealed, eventually.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I was out and about today with my niece and we had chips and hotdogs with slaw.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

We had leftover Turkey, Spinach, and Mushroom lasagna, leftover coleslaw, and the rest of the "chips" from a couple of days ago. Easy. Now, I can concentrate on sweet rolls for tomorrow.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Our dinner was baked sausage links and apple slices with brown sugar and cinnamon, cole slaw and maple cornbread.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had chili from the freezer tonight, and we might get snow starting around 10PM and continuing overnight, though maybe a total of less than an inch.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

We had leftover chicken farro stir-fry and microwaved fresh broccoli. My elder bonus son flew home today, so it is back to just the two of us (well, three with the dog!) at meals.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I cooked a special supper for my niece... chuck eye steak ,baked sweet potato sauteed mushrooms and onions and Caesar salad. It was great.

chocomouse
                                Participant

We had grilled salmon, the last of the green and yellow beans from the deck, roasted butternut squash tossed in oil and maple syrup, and a green salad with lettuce also from the deck.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.