What are you Cooking the Week of October 11, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 11, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No plans yet, cooking currently sounds like too much work.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We have leftover pork from last night and will have it again with Queen squash stuffed with leftover farro. I roast the squash in the countertop convection oven.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Pizza of sausage,onion,green pepper,pepperoni,black olives,and pickled banana peppers.My husband had soup and sandwich.

skeptic7
          Participant

I tried to do pumpkin risotto with pureed pumpkin on Sunday. It didn't turn out too well. Rather mushy. I'll have to try it again later.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Dinner on Monday was stir-fry, made with leftover pork, soba noodles, green onion, carrots, celery, red bell pepper (from our garden), mushrooms, broccoli, and the deglazing from when the pork was cooked. We have enough left over for dinner tomorrow.

chocomouse
              Participant

Dinner was marinated Greek chicken thighs, mushroom risotto, and cole slaw.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

We went grocery shopping today so I picked up chicken tenders and fries from a local fast food.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I fired up the grill and grilled us a porterhouse steak with a baked potato,we shared the steak and I have fresh strawberry shortcake for dessert later on.

Italiancook
                    Participant

Mike, I keep a CD player in the room adjacent to the kitchen. When I don't feel like cooking or baking, I put a musical CD in the player and turn the volume loud enough to hear in the kitchen. The music carries me along as I start the project I didn't think I wanted to do. Before I know it, I have something delicious on the stovetop or in the oven.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I'm having some vision issues lately (difficulty focusing on close-up items, like books or recipes), so if I'm working from a recipe it is sometimes more of a work (and eye-strain headache) than I'm up for. I've got an eye doctor appointment scheduled, it may be time for me to have cataract surgery.

This new computer does a better job zooming in on things so I can read them, but the touchpad is so sensitive I wind up clicking on things I didn't mean to click on. I've lost a few posts that way already, and had to retype them.

Italiancook
                        Participant

When I don't want to do a project, Mike, it's laziness! I hope all goes well with your eye doctor appointment and that your eyes are soon on the road to recovery.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I made another batch of yogurt today.

For tonight's dinner, I've whipped up Penzey's Ensalada de Quinoa--a double recipe, except for the Feta, as I only have one container of it. I had to leave out the red onion, due to my husband's sensitivity, and alas, I'm out of green onion. I put in the remaining dried Penzey's chives (about 1 tsp.), 3/4 tsp. Penzey's dried roasted onion powder, and some of Penzey's Mural of Flavor to try to compensate. I always omit the cilantro.

I'll serve it with my Turkey and Zucchini Meatloaf with Peach-Dijon Mustard glaze that I will start in about 40 minutes so that we can eat around 6 p.m.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Thursday, I cooked a large pot of black beans that I had soaked overnight. I used Kenji Lopez-Alt’s technique of salting the soaking water and the cooking water. Some of these beans will be used in a soup I will make for lunch tomorrow, and some will be frozen so that they are on hand when needed.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I made turkey meatballs today and had some with spaghetti and Brussels Sprouts. I have enough for a couple more days.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

For lunch on Friday, as well as into next week, I made Black Bean Pumpkin Soup. The original recipe is from Gourmet (November 1996), but I follow Deb Perelman’s recipe at Smitten Kitchen. I make a few adjustments in that I did not use canned black beans but 3 lbs. (1.361 Kg) of the batch I cooked yesterday. I also use 2 cups of my homemade pumpkin puree, which came from the freezer. (I’m on a mission to empty out the pumpkin in the freezer before freezing more this year.) I drastically cut the cumin from 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. to 1 ½ tsp., which for me gives the kick without being overwhelming. I omit the shallot, the salt, and even the freshly ground black pepper. (I forgot the pepper, but as it is fine without it, I will omit it in the future.) Instead of 1 cup drained chopped canned tomatoes, I used a 14 oz. can. I drained the tomatoes before pureeing them with the beans, but I kept the juice and added it. I replaced butter for sautéing the onion and garlic with olive oil. I reduced the beef broth from 4 cups to 2 cups, since I am using my own pumpkin which contains more liquid than the stuff in the can. However, I made the broth with a generous tablespoon of Penzey’s beef base. I omitted the ½ lb. of diced cooked ham and the 3-4 Tbs. of sherry vinegar that is stirred in at the end. (I do not have sherry vinegar, and I prefer to save ham for other recipes.) I did not garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds or sour cream. I’ve set aside enough for three or four more lunches. I am freezing enough for another two.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.