What are you Cooking the Week of November 7, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 7, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Thank you for the good wishes for my husband, Joan and Chocomouse. He is impatient with injuries, so he probably overdid it the first day. He has been hobbling around the house and even raking leaves. He thinks that he can drive tomorrow, so that we can go get apples.

I had noticed that another one of my smaller butternut squashes had a bad spot, so on Thursday, for lunch, I baked a recipe that I created last year, Butternut Squash, Kale, and Cheese Savory Tart, starting from a Splendid Table recipe for Butternut Squash Galette with Gruyere. Oil crusts do not work for a galette, but I bake the recipe in a 10-inch Emile Henry ceramic tart dish, and it is every bit as good as I recall. Leftovers warm up well in the small convection oven. For the crust, I used olive rather than canola oil and cut the salt by another quarter teaspoon.

I had to substitute pre-grated low-fat mozzarella for the cheddar I used last year because the bag of pre-grated 2% cheddar that I opened yesterday had green mold in its midst. (Note: expiration date is Dec. 25). It would have been present when I used some of the cheese yesterday for an omelet. I had thought it smelled slightly off, but I did not see anything then, and as it was newly opened, I went ahead and used it. Today it went into the trash.

chocomouse
      Participant

This morning I made 2 large pots of soup: clam chowder for my husband, and mushroom for me. There will be plenty left after dinner to put into portion sizes and then into the freezer for busy or lazy days.

BakerAunt
        Participant

For dinner on Thursday, I made the Crispy Oven Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce. We had it with leftover coleslaw.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I had leftover meatloaf, red cabbage and baked sweet potato. No more leftovers, I'll have to cook tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

We had char grilled chicken breast,thickened potatoes and fried okra.

navlys
              Participant

In the past I noticed that bagged shredded cheese would go bad quickly once you opened the bag. But then in the last few years it seems that they did something to the cheese to make it last longer. Maybe you got a bag that expired Dec. 25 2020? Ha ha.

navlys
                Participant

I made chili for our community chili contest. I volunteered to enter because I thought it would be cancelled. My neighbor makes great chili ( as my husband told all the tasters) so I knew I wouldn't win. There were 10 of us cooking. I decided to use a recipe a friend gave me a few years ago since I heard she was a good cook. I was supposed to make 8 quarts!!!! My crockpot holds 6 so that's what I made. After following the recipe I tasted it and found it to be tasteless so I opened my spice cabinet and went to town. I knew it was a crap shoot that I would win and of course the winner was...... MY NEIGHBOR! I did get a lot of compliments however and I was just glad it was edible because we have alot left in our freezer.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Navlys maybe your neighbor didn't give you all the ingredients,but now you've got chili for the freezer.

Today we had hamburger steaks with sauteed onions and fries.

We went shopping for a few things today and everything was well stocked.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I roasted eight chicken thighs for Friday's dinner and for the next several nights. Tonight, we had it with Oat Wheat Flax Buns and more leftover coleslaw.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

My wife's stepmother's 'football chili' is easy to make but never wins chili contest awards, in part because it doesn't fit into the usual categories for judging as it does not have any chili peppers in it and it has both meat and beans.

But everybody always wants a second bowl of it. It is tasty and mild.

I'm making a pot of it tonight, it is better the second day so I'll cook it for 3-4 hours tonight then put it in several large containers.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

My husband requested tuna salad sandwich and pork-n-beans so that's it today.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Saturday I made my first of what will be about five batches of applesauce from apples sold as seconds. I froze two 1-cup containers of unsweetened applesauce for baking.

For dinner, I roasted cut-up red potatoes tossed in olive oil and Penzey’s Mural of Flavor. We had the potatoes with leftover roast chicken thighs, applesauce, and microwaved fresh broccoli.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We had the chili I made last night, it was great. And there's still about 6 quarts of it left, half of which will likely go in the freezer.

chocomouse
                              Participant

We had leftover soups and gougeres. Tomorrow I will freeze the leftover leftovers - probably 2 bowls of each kind.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

Last night I made a some broccoli/cauliflower soup. I simmered the vegs in about 10 ounces of chicken broth, once tender I blended it with a stick blender in the pot and thickened it with a little potato flakes. Had it with an Italian sausage sandwich.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.