What are you Cooking the Week of November 7, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 7, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Hope everyone who needed to adjust their clocks today has done so, I'm still working on ours.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I only have one clock that needs adjusting - the rest are on all my devices and are automatic - I did that one last night before I went to bed.

We will be having leftovers tonight and for another day or two. Last night I made meatloaf, mashed potatoes and asparagus. It has been a couple of years since I made meatloaf and seemed to have forgotten ingredients and timing. I usually just throw everything into a bowl and mix it up, but this time I seem to have shortchanged us on the liquids and breading - the flavor was OK, but the meatloaf was dry (I also went a few degrees over on the baking). I usually cook it in a loaf pan but this time, I patted into shape and put it in a casserole. I know that mine always has taken longer than recipes say, but I second-guessed myself. I have found that 375º is a better temperature for me and takes about an hour. I saw two recipes from people I normally trust and they both said from 40-60 minutes at 350º. Mine was nowhere near done at that time or temp. But, then when it was 30º below target temp, I went 15 more minutes and it was overdone. I have to trust myself more.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had takeout pizza/lasagna for supper last night, so we've got leftovers of that for supper, plus some beef stroganoff. I'll probably make pie dough this evening so I can make a pie tomorrow, but otherwise I'm done cooking for the day.

BakerAunt
          Participant

We will have leftover roast chicken, leftover roasted red potatoes, leftover roasted Honey Nut Squash, and microwaved fresh broccoli.

All of our clocks have been changed except for the one on the oven. I will change it next time I bake, as it only lights up when the oven is in use.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I changed all our clocks yesterday around 4 PM so we were ahead of it.

Today my husband only wanted pork-n-beans and fries so that's what he had,I had a hotdog with slaw.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We had pork chops,macaroni and tomatoes and leftover peas and green beans.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Monday was a busy day in the kitchen, and busier than expected when I noted that one of my small butternut squashes from the farmers market was beginning to go bad. I cut out the bad parts, skinned and diced it, then roasted it for 40 minutes in my small convection oven. I decided that it would go well in a lunchtime pasta dish for me, so I cooked 3 oz. of Ronzoni Super Greens Rotini. (I bought it on sale a while back, less because of its healthy hype and more for the color.). For the sauce, I used the defatted drippings and deglazing liquid from the chicken I roasted last week, and added chopped onion and sliced mushrooms, then a 5 oz. can of light chicken meat, and the roasted butternut squash. I added a dash of freshly ground black pepper, combined it with the pasta, and I had lunch for today, with enough left for tomorrow.

I made chicken broth from the meaty bones of the chicken I roasted last week. I will freeze it.

Monday dinner was Sloppy Josephines. I added that ¼ cup of tomato sauce I made last Saturday and used less ketchup. We also had microwaved frozen mixed vegetables.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

As I was doing the usual grocery shopping on Tuesday morning—without my husband who twisted his lower leg after tripping on a grapevine in the woods on Sunday—I saw some lovely cabbages and decided that coleslaw would make a wonderful addition to leftover sloppy Josephines for dinner. I like a change from frozen vegetables. I am also finishing up a course of antibiotics that accompanied the root canal I had last week, so I am keen to get my digestive tract refurbished with healthy bacteria. Coleslaw is a start.

I also made yogurt on Tuesday, for the first time in several weeks. I had run out of the Stonyfield yogurt and had to wait until we did our big shopping trip last Thursday to the next town, as it is not carried in our local store. I was having to make do with Yoplait low-fat peach or strawberry yogurt, which is the best that the local place carries. The other brands of non-Greek yogurts they carry rely on food starch as thickener, which means they have less calcium, and have added sugars, or else they carry yogurts high in saturated fat. I was able to get a quart of Stonefield full-fat yogurt (fat not an issue, since I use 170 g to make my six containers), but I had to settle for vanilla, as Kroger once again had no plain yogurt. While that means some added sugar, at least the 11 grams of added sugars will be dispersed among my six jars.

I'm a little worried that my yogurt maker may be developing some problems, as the batch I made a few weeks ago did not solidify as much as it should. If that happens again--and I end up drinking the jars--I will need to seek out an alternative.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I made meatloaf. Had it with little roasted potatoes and steamed kale.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I went to visit my sister today so I made taco salad,easy and quick.

I hope your husband is OK BakerAunt and not too sore.

chocomouse
                        Participant

BakerAunt, I hope your husband heals quickly!

Dinner was pork chops, smashed potatoes, and roasted squash. The pork chop recipe came from Kevin's Closet Cooking, and was delicious. It is called Dijon Apple Cider Grilled Pork Chops. It also includes maple syrup, and I used the last of my 2020 boiled cider. The sauce is thickened with cornstarch, and near the end, sliced apples are added and cooked slightly to soften. I cooked the chops in Lodge cast iron instead of grilling.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had tomato soup and fried cheese sandwiches for supper, a nice warm meal for a cold rainy evening.

chocomouse
                            Participant

We had leftovers made last week, from the freezer, pasta with a meat sauce and cauliflower. And green salad.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I had leftover meatloaf. I made gravy and had it with noodles and steamed red cabbage.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

We had smoked sausage,rice and tomato gravy,creamed corn and buttermilk biscuits.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.