What are You Cooking the Week of March 26, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of March 26, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My husband is cooking dinner tonight, but I'll start the thread for everyone who is cooking today.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Had some refried beans left over so I made enchiladas with ground beef and beans,they were good.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I made nachos for a pre dinner snack, I piped refried beans onto tortilla chips, topped it with Mexican cheese and popped it in the oven, convection bake at 450 degrees, for a few minutes. Also made a boneless pork roast and mashed redskin taters.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Tonight I'm making my black bean and mushroom meatloaf.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I made Dilled Salmon and Couscous again tonight.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Thursday for lunch, I made a soup with mild Italian sausage, onion, red bell pepper, celery, carrots, turkey/chicken broth from the freezer, cooked white beans from the freezer, pearl barley, and parsley. I'll be having it for lunch over the next week.

RiversideLen
                Participant

Today I put some country style pork ribs in a pot, covered it with 2 large cans of imported tomatoes, some seasoning and stuck it in the oven for 4 hours. Removed the meat and gave the tomatoes a ride in the food processor. I'm calling it pasta sauce, had some for dinner tonight, it is really good. Going to freeze a good portion of it.

Bronx
                  Participant

Got some "Reduced for quick sale" stew beef from Sam's Club so I'll be making slow cooker stew this weekend. The meat is still cut in chunks too big for us so I cut each chunk into 3 or 4 smaller pieces.

Nothing like cooking cheap cuts of beef all day in a slow cooker; makes it fall apart tender.

Bronx

Italiancook
                    Participant

This morning, I made Chop Suey for the freezer, although I kept 2 lunches worth out for the refrigerator. This evening, I made Oven-Fried Chicken & mashed potatoes. I made a lot of mashed, but I thought of artery health when it was time to add the salt and butter. This skimping ruined the mashed potatoes. I'm going to reprocess them tomorrow by adding salt and turning them into potato patties. Live and learn. If anyone wants the Oven-Fried Chicken recipe, I'm going to post it in the recipe section.

KIDPIZZA
                      Participant

ITALIAN COOK:
                        Good afternoon. Listen, do like I do because I do not like butter. If I taste it I have to wash my mouth out. When preparing mashed taters I use approx. 1/3rd butter & 2/3rds CREAM CHEESE....Trust me it tastes much better than butter in mashed taters.

Now then IC.I do not want to tell you how to make MASHED TATERS, but, consider using some OLIVE OIL, CHOPPED ONIONS BAY LEAF & CUT UP GARLIC. place all in the boiling water including the salt. Drain.... mash up the taters, adding milk/1/2 1/2 & butter/cream cheese concoction, Also if some salt is required use LAWRY's Seasoning salt good stuff. Also I found black pepper taste good as well.

IC, while doing this mixing with your fork mixing in the seasonings & tasting as such keep your sauce pan on the burner low...so as to keep the taters warm while mixing
                        (GOOD IDEA...HUH !!!)

I hope this info provides you with some thought on how to spruce up your taters.
                        Let us know how it works out for you.

Good luck & enjoy the day.

~KIDPIZZA / CASS.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Cass, then you'd really hate Chef Joel Robuchon's puree de pomme, because it's really heavy on the butter, about 2 parts potato to one part butter.

I don't like either olive oil or garlic in mashed potatoes, and garlic mashed potatoes has become a restaurant staple. But these days too many restaurants will put garlic in anything, even oatmeal!

I've tried making buttermilk mashed potatoes a few times, somehow it always comes out weird.

Italiancook
                          Participant

Cass, I always appreciate cooking tips. Thank you. I have cream cheese in the fridge, usually. I'll try your ratio next time. In fact, I'll try your recipe for mashed potatoes next time. I'll let you know how it turns out. But it may be a while before I make mashed again. I'm going to have quite a supply of potato patties in my freezer to use up first.

I agree with you, Mike, on buttermilk mashed potatoes.

Don't know why I was so worried about artery health yesterday when making mashed potatoes. I knew then that I was going to make Ben & Jerry Dreamsicle Ice Cream today. The recipe is on this site. The ice cream is delicious! The bonus is that you don't have to cook a custard. Just toss everything in a container and whisk & pour in machine.

For me, the ice cream has too much cream. It uses both cream & half 'n half. Next time, I'm going to use only half 'n half. The next time will be in a day or so. The recipe uses orange juice concentrate. Only a third of a cup, which means there's enough to make the ice cream 2 or 3 times. I'm making it for the freezer, so that's a good thing.

I've had an ice cream maker for most of this century, but only used it twice. I couldn't find a good way to pour the custard into the small opening at the top without making a mess. Yesterday, I discovered that Pyrex makes an 8-cup measuring pitcher that has a top with pouring holes that can be placed over the spout. This worked out perfectly. No pouring mess.

KIDPIZZA
                            Participant

MIKE NOLAN:
                              Good afternoon. I believe your mashed taters tasted weird is because Buttermilk is very acidic. This condition has a negative affect on this dish.

Speaking of excessive use or amounts of butter in a baked product, In culinary college, we in 3 man teams we had a cheesecake recipe to do while our chef instructor said that this recipe was sold by it's author to a restaurant owner for $12.000.
                              It had cream cheese in it plus some butter in it as well. While mixing I was manning the 20,QT mixer. All of a sudden the odor of the butter started to become pronounced into the room...I had to excuse myself immediately & leave the room for a spell. Then I came back. Truthfully I could taste the butter in this cheesecake & so I prepared myself for it by having PEPSI COLA on the side to wash my mouth out. I still have that recipe somewhere What a piece crap it is.

Enjoy the day Mike.

~CASS.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I use funnels for tasks like pouring into your ice cream maker.

I've got one of those ice cream makers where the outside of the container is a gel-filled freezer pack, I've gotten some good ices and sherbets from it, but I don't think it's got enough freezing power for a cream-based mix, even though our big freezer is set for 10 below, so the cold pack gets plenty cold.

I don't think my wife will let me spend money on a real ice cream machine, though. S'OK, the farmers market season starts later this month, and the gelato stand there is better than anything I could make anyway. And Freddy's has pretty good frozen custard, in addition to the best french fries in town.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

On Monday, Will made me baked scampi for my birthday dinner. We thought his brother might join us so we had plenty, enough to last through Thursday. Sandwiches that night and then the turkey through today.

I had a turkey in the freezer so I decided to try Ina Garten's Accidental Turkey - it was pretty easy and the turkey spent several days in the fridge in a sort of brine, then 45 minutes in a hot oven, reduce the heat for another hour or so. It was very good and we decided that if we made it again, we would let it cool longer- it sliced much better the next day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.