What are you Cooking the Week of March 17, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of March 17, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We had tuna salad on a bed of lettuce.

navlys
      Participant

Time has come to clean out the refrigerator and freezer. We had chicken barbecue pizza with onions on flatbread! I'm finally learning not to buy so much only to give it away.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Yesterday I spatchcocked and roasted a duck. Seasoned it simply with some salt and pepper.

Duck‑1

While the duck was roasting I made a stock from the wing tips, neck and backbone (along with onion, carrot, celery and a bay leaf). I also skimmed off the fat from the pan as it accumulated. When it was done, the pan had a lot of brown bits baked on. I made a nice brown pan gravy using the stock I had just made.

The duck was pretty good and the gravy was great, liquid gold!

duck‑2

I used a little duck fat to fry an egg this morning, it was delicious.

Tonight's dinner will be leftover duck.

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Joan Simpson
          Participant

I had a bowl of chili and a hot dog.

I've never cooked duck but yours looks good Len.

BakerAunt
            Participant

That is a great dinner, Len!

I made yogurt on Wednesday.

For dinner that night, I roasted a chicken breast. I roasted sweet potato chunks separately. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

My son like to do duck breast sous vide. I've cooked a duck a couple of times, I've even made a turducken. (Deboning a chicken is easy, deboning a duck is harder, the bones are bigger and longer.)

I've got quite a bit of duck stock in the freezer, and some goose stock, too. Mushrooms sauteed in butter and duck stock are really delicious.

Of all the types of fowl I've made, I think goose made the best gravy.

We had tacos/natchos/taco salad for supper tonight, I made some refried black beans (not very keto friendly, but good.)

BakerAunt
                Participant

I am using up my remaining supply of butternut squash, and I came across this recipe:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/131107/butternut-squash-and-turkey-chili/

The recipe can easily be adapted to what you have on hand or to personal taste. My changes were to add a chopped yellow bell pepper and stalk of celery with the onions. I probably used about 2 lbs. of butternut squash (a medium) and cut it into 1/2-inch pieces. Instead of separate cans of tomatoes and chili's, I used the Del Monte tomatoes with Hatch chilis. I did not have a can of tomato sauce but I had a 6 oz. can of tomato paste, which I used with 1 cup water. I replaced the canned white hominy with 9 oz. frozen corn.

I prefer a mild chili, so I cut the chili powder to 1 tsp. and the ground cumin to 1/2 tsp. After reading the comments, I took one person's advice and added 1 tsp. ground allspice. I also added 2 Tbs. light brown sugar.

I really like the result! My husband cannot eat chili, so I froze four separate servings for quick future lunches, and I will have enough for four mor lunches.

The butternut squash was a on the chewy side, which I did not mind, but for a softer result, I would cook it another ten minutes.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I had chili, hot dog and refrigerator pickles.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We had fish with broccoli tonight.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I had a salami sandwich and pickles.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

For Friday dinner, I made chicken salad with the leftovers from the chicken breast that I roasted earlier this week. We had it on Whole Wheat/Rye/Semolina buns from the freezer. I also made coleslaw.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had scrambled eggs with bacon and toast, and I had a salad and a custard.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I had pasta with meat sauce (ground beef, mushrooms, onion, diced carrot and celery) and kale.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Our plan is to buy a rotisserie chicken at Sams this afternoon for supper.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Dinner on Saturday was Crispy Oven Baked Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce and coleslaw.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.