What are You Cooking the Week of July 30, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of July 30, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

The local grocery store here often has good prices on whole chicken legs (thigh and drumsticks). Tonight I am roasting four on a parchment-lined half-sheet pan with small potatoes from the farmer's market and some small carrots that the store had on sale. I rubbed them with olive oil and sprinkled on poultry seasoning and rosemary. We are also having sweet corn from the corner stand and green beans from the farmer's market.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Taco salad yesterday,dry lima beans with rice and fried cubed pork today.

rottiedogs
        Participant

I grilled a ham and pineapple on Sunday. Green beans and corn for sides with the ham. Yesterday was beef tacos. I made guacamole to go with them.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Last night we made sous vide scallops and orange roughy. Both were excellent. My son made a lemon/orange glaze to go with them, it was quite interesting.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I used some pork chops left over from a meal my husband cooked to make one of my soba noodle dishes with sautéed carrots, mushrooms, half a package of frozen broccoli (fresh is very expensive here right now), the drippings from the pork, and sliced green onion. We ate it with sweet corn because almost anything goes with sweet corn. 🙂

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I made fried ham,rutabagas and rice and tomato gravy.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

For lunch today I made pizza bread using half of the hoagie buns I baked yesterday.

For supper we made the third sous vide protein, tri-tip, sliced thin and served au jus, like a French dip, on the hoagie rolls I baked yesterday. We cooked the meat to 142 degrees, that's in the 'medium' range and it was light pink, which was exactly where I wanted it.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Mike, it sounds like you've been having great fun with the souls vide. I wonder what Vibeguy would say about it.

We were in Massachusetts last week - we drove up and back. I asked my local fish guy up there if there was anyway I could keep swordfish fresh for 3 days on the road. They have their own boats and they only sell harpooned swordfish - it's always the best and I miss it down here. He said they were getting fresh ones on Friday and Saturday (they also clean and cut it themselves) and he would pack it for me so it would last a week! So I got some for my friends we spent Sunday night with and some for dear friends down here for Tuesday. I did put Tuesday's batch and the ice packs in my friend's fridge in PA just to help with the 12 hour drive on Monday.

I can't take credit for Sunday's fish, but they grilled it perfectly and we had a lovely dinner with fresh Vegas from their garden. They sent me home with little plum tomatoes which I roasted ala Ina for our Tuesday dinner. The fish was still fresh and I grilled it perfectly - it was a treat and made my friends and my Mom happy.

Last night I tried salt brining my chicken breasts per my friend in PA and they were definitely more tender than my previous attempts with the supermarket chicken.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We're having cheese souffle for supper tonight to go with the Pao de Queijo I made. I may make some kind of marinara sauce, that'd go well with both of those.

Followup: A simple marinara (tomato sauce, oregano, basil, thyme and 4 cheese blend) went very well with both dishes.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

For Friday dinner, I made my mother's stroganoff recipe with a few substitutions: ground turkey for the ground beef and cream of mushroom soup for the cream of chicken soup (Campbell's Healthy Request). To keep it from being bland, I added 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning. We eat it over brown rice.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Yesterday I made Taco burgers and home fries and today I made Baked pork tenderloin,rice & gravy with green butter beans.

chocomouse
                          Participant

It's been so hot and humid here that cooking has been minimal. One night we had leftover creamed turkey casserole from the freezer when thunderstorms moved through just at grilling time. I made a bunch of salads - broccoli, zuchinni zoodle, and a pasta with kale and Feta. Then I played around with Margherita Quesadillas. So simple and easy. I used 8 inch tortillas, layered with mozzarella, thin sliced Sarnoski plum tomatoes, and an assortment of herbs (basil, thyme, savory, marjoram, garlic chives, oregano, and probably some others) snipped from the planters on my deck. I heated them in a cast iron skillet to brown them and melt the cheese, and then at dinnertime I simply reheated in the microwave. They were excellent- the assortment of herbs was amazing, so each bite was a little different and unexpected.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Cleaning out the fridge=Lima bean soup,using left over tomato gravy,rice and lima beans,cut up some onion,celery and carrot and adding in chicken stock from baked chicken.Good and easy!

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Yeah, we're in leftover mode for a day or two here, as well, though there aren't as many leftovers as there sometimes are after my son has been to visit.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

Saturday I made a nice Greek salad to be eaten over several days- taking some for lunch today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.