What are you Cooking the Week of January 8, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 8, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

On the stove or in the oven, or just takeout?

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

All on stove top or oven, very little take out, take out for us is generally BBQ or Mexican.

chocomouse
        Participant

Have never done take-out. But grill a lot. Leftovers tonight.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Leftovers heated up in the trusty microwave oven.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

We had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made chicken breasts in pasta sauce with mushrooms. Had it with bow tie pasta and cauliflower. Have enough left for tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

French fries and ham sandwich tonight,pineapple pudding for a dessert.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I made pea soup on Monday for the first time this winter. It pairs well with the Pumpkin Soda Bread I baked.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had meatloaf, sour cream mashed potatoes and green beans.

chocomouse
                      Participant

We had cheesesteak on English muffins.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

For me, for dinner tonight, I baked my Roasted Beet, Greens, and Greek Cheese Flatbread, but as I only had four small beets, I roasted chunks of butternut squash when I roasted the beets for the flatbread and used about half of it on the flatbread. The squash is a bit bland, but that works well with the assertiveness of the beets, and the color is lovely. The original recipe uses spinach, and I have used beet greens in the past, but the few beet greens I had went bad before I could use them. I used 5 oz. of kale, and it worked well. My husband had leftover farro with turkey, vegetables, and mushrooms, with some of the roasted butternut squash on the side.

I plan to do more experimentation this year with different toppings for the flatbread, which is very much like a cracker.

I also made yogurt today.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had tomato soup and fried cheese sandwiches. Meals are usually fairly simple here, with a lot of comfort foods, especially while Diane is recovering from some kind of virus. (Not COVID, not flu, but something that appears to be making the rounds at the U of Nebraska.)

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Mike good wishes sent your way to Diane ,hope she feels better soon.

Tonight we had fried cubed pork, rice and left over black eyed peas.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Mike, please tell Diane I hope she is feeling better soon. I'm glad she has a good chef to feed her!

Today I cooked a ham bone and made split pea soup. We have quite a few more meals to stash in the freezer now.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Best wishes to Diane, Mike, for a quick recovery.

I had a bag of cranberries in a refrigerator drawer that I needed to use, and after sorting out the bad ones, I had about a cup. I also had half an orange, left over from the Julekage I baked last week. On Wednesday evening, I used them to make Jane Brody's Cranberry-Orange relish. I make a couple of changes in that I increased the sugar for the half recipe to ¼ cup, as 1 ½ Tbs. is not going to cut it, and I do not have orange liquor to add. This recipe used to be my go-to for cranberry relish before I found the cherry-cardamom cranberry relish that is now my favorite. I will use this cranberry relish as a stir-in with my morning yogurt, a topping for toast, and a little on the side for me when we have chicken.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.