What are you Cooking the week of January 20, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of January 20, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm not sure what I'm doing for supper right now, I've been planning to try my wife's mother's Swiss Steak recipe, but she wants something lighter tonight.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I made pizza tonight using up a couple cups of spaghetti sauce that I cooked down till thick,then added,sausage,onions,bell pepper,mushrooms,pepperoni,black olives and cheese used a pizza crust recipe I've made before and all was good.Left overs for lunch tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Tonight we had chicken tenders,green butter beans and thickened potatoes something my mom use to make a lot.Cube potatoes cook in pot like for potato salad then drain most of water and I stir a big tablespoon of flour in a cup of milk till mixed well an\dd to potatoes with a little butter and salt and pepper.Cook till thickened almost like potato soup.We eat this a lot down south.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm making the Swiss Steak recipe today, smells good.

skeptic7
            Participant

I bought a pork shoulder and remove the shoulder bone which is much harder than deboning a chicken thigh but similiar in concept. I divided the meat in two parts and was going to make two batches of Char Siu from different recipes, one with most of the fat removed and one with it intact. I've cooked the lean one and it is good but slightly dry -- probably overcooked by about 10 minutes; but I am having second thoughts about having Char Siu with layers of fatty pork and fatty pork skin. It is suppose to be very tasty but I actually remember having digestive problems with very fatty roast pork. I think I'll let discretion rule and remove the excess fat before cooking this.
              I used the shoulder bone for pork bone soup/broth flavored with 1/2 onion and a little ginger. I don't know what I am going to do with this. Pork dumplings from the grocery store?

skeptic7
              Participant

I bought a pork shoulder and remove the shoulder bone which is much harder than deboning a chicken thigh but similiar in concept. I divided the meat in two parts and was going to make two batches of Char Siu from different recipes, one with most of the fat removed and one with it intact. I've cooked the lean one and it is good but slightly dry -- probably overcooked by about 10 minutes; but I am having second thoughts about having Char Siu with layers of fatty pork and fatty pork skin. It is suppose to be very tasty but I actually remember having digestive problems with very fatty roast pork. I think I'll let discretion rule and remove the excess fat before cooking this.
                I used the shoulder bone for pork bone soup/broth flavored with 1/2 onion and a little ginger. I don't know what I am going to do with this. Pork dumplings from the grocery store?
                Oh this took 1 1/2 hours to cook so I had a nice warm oven for a long time!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by skeptic7.
                chocomouse
                Participant

We had tomato soup made from tomatoes in the freezer from our garden, and egg salad sandwiches on whole grain bread made with KAF's Super 10 flour.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Monday, I made my adaptation of my mother’s hamburger stroganoff, which we had over brown rice with microwaved peas on the side. I find it handy to bring my rice cooker on vacation, since it is never certain what kitchen equipment will be available.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Today I made a roast in oven with potatoes,onions and carrots.Made the house smell so good and it was tender and very good.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I roasted four whole chicken legs for dinner tonight. The oven at the place where we are staying was not accurate, and we ended up putting them into the microwave to finish cooking. We had the chicken with spinach noodles and steamed broccoli.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Maybe you should throw an infrared thermometer into your travel kit. 🙂

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made a small pork roast yesterday. Leftovers today.

Why does my browser indicate that this site is not secure?

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I don't see any reason to use https, and it costs money to buy a certificate, generally $100 or more a year.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

RiversideLen I noticed that too but have never had a problem,one other site I go on says the same.Thank you Mike for all you do!

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Hmm--at the very least I should bring an oven thermometer, but I do have an infrared thermometer that I bought for testing pan temperature when I make English muffins....

Maybe we need a thread on cooking essentials needed when traveling. 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                  • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.