What are you Cooking the Week of December 24, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of December 24, 2023?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Well, Mike, the group wants what the group wants!

I had a major vegetable craving and some kale that I needed to use, so I made Spanish Chickpea, Kale (replaced spinach), and Bulgur stew for lunch on Thursday. Having some frozen chickpeas in the freezer that I remembered to put in the refrigerator to thaw last night was a plus. My husband cannot eat it due to the spices, onions, and tomatoes with chilis, which is why I only make it for lunch. I have enough for more lunches this week and weekend, and I froze a serving for a future lunch. I bought some freezer containers from Lehman's a while back, and I find that they work very well for these defrost and heat lunches, and they stack nicely in the freezer.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

My son like to order frequently from either DaVinci's or Taco Inn when he's in town, because those aren't available in Pittsburgh. I ate at Taco Inn nearly every weekday for the first two years I was in grad school, I'm fast food faux taco'd out. DaVinci's take on a cheese steak is pretty good (though not true Philly style), but one every two or three weeks is my limit. Now, good Italian Beef I could handle a lot more often, but there isn't any in Lincoln.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I figured it was probably a "I can't get this where I live" craving. If I am ever in California again, I will insist on El Pollo Loco.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm an In-N-Out fan myself.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Ahead of Diane's birthday two weeks ago I was looking for a source for some veal to make Veal Zurich. Couldn't find any in Lincoln other than ground veal and some shanks (for Osse Bucco), but I did find a place in Omaha called 'Just Good Meat'. It's just off the Interstate, so we went right past it on the way home from dropping David and Kelita off at the airport this morning.

I got several packages of veal cutlets, thinly sliced, and 2 packages of beef shanks for beef stock.

IMG_0791

IMG_0790

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

I made coleslaw on Friday, which we had with ham sandwiches for dinner.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made beef stroganoff for dinner tonight.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I'll make some Veal Zurich over the weekend, but other than that it's leftovers week.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I made Crispy Oven Baked Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce for dinner on Saturday, which we had with coleslaw.

chocomouse
                      Participant

No cooking here tonight! A food truck has been coming to the parking lot of a daycare center near us on Fridays and Saturdays for the past month. This is a real treat for such a rural area. So I picked up San Diego style fish tacos for our dinner - delicious! However, it's not quite the same as sitting on the pier over the waters of the bay on a sunny day, not when it's raining and the temp is 34*.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

I made chicken salad from the leftover tenders that Will grilled on Thursday so we could celebrate Michael's (my DDH) birthday. Nice simple dinner after two bananas days at work. We had a line of guests winding around half the store for 3 hours yesterday and not quite so long today to order lunch. We've been busy before, but nothing like this. We heard the whole island was packed. There were stories of Harris Teeter being so crowded you couldn't find a parking space.next week the island quiets down.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.