What are you Cooking the Week of August 27, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 27, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've got some zucchini that I need to shred up and use, I'm thinking of making one or two batches of the zucchini relish (sans garlic).

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Supper tonight was some local sweet corn and a roast beef sandwich.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Turkey and tomato sandwich, dill pickles and an ear of corn.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I made yogurt on Sunday. For dinner, I made Cherry Tomato Sauce with vegetables (green and yellow squash, yellow and purple bell pepper, and mushrooms) and mixed in the leftover roasted chicken from last night.

Mike--Are you going to use the Ball canning book recipe?

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I was thinking of using the one at Rural Sprout (zucchini dill relish), but I might add some sweet peppers (and leave out the garlic).

I'm tempted to try one batch with dill and one batch with caraway. If they work well together, I could always just combine them afterwards.

Years ago, a family friend gave us her tomato relish recipe, a version of which I have posted here. The main ingredients are tomatoes, onions and sweet peppers. It is great on hot dogs.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I had two hotdogs and some sliced tomatoes.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had macaroni and cheese.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Monday was also our final dinner with my younger bonus son and his family. I made the Oven Crispy Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce, which we had with microwaved fresh broccoli on the side. They fly home tomorrow. It has been wonderful spending time with them and the new grandson.

I also made tomato sauce today, since our garden is now producing well. I hope it will be the first of many batches.

Mike--I'm tempted to try the Ball zucchini relish recipe, even though we do not usually eat foods that call for relish. Perhaps it is the challenge.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I shredded two big zucchini today and am using it to make another chocolate zucchini cake and a batch of zucchini dill relish.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We had sandwiches tonight.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I had 2 hotdogs on bread with a peach.

Getting ready for the storm to pass through, praying for no damage.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had one of Diane's colleagues over for lunch today (it's a work-from-home day at UNL because 90,000+ volleyball fans will be on campus later this afternoon for a volleyball match in the football stadium, and they'll use up all the parking.)

So I made a zucchini tomato casserole and some epis using the extra dough I made the last time I made semolina bread. We had some of the chocolate buttermilk cake with the frosting from Texas chocolate sheet cake for dessert.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

For supper we had sandwiches and corn on the cob.

I made the zucchini dill relish today and am canning it this evening. It is interesting but I'm not sure what we'll have it with. I'm reminded of the line from the 1942 movie Holiday Inn, where Fred Astaire is given a jar of peach preserves and says:

[talking about peach preserves]
                              Ted Hanover: Oh boy, do I go for those! Why they're great on... on...
                              [pause]
                              Ted Hanover: ... or even plain!

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Mike--When word gets out what kind of meals are served at your house on "Work from Home" days, the entire department is likely to start showing up!

I'm still mulling over trying the Ball recipe for zucchini relish, but with company leaving yesterday and more company coming in Friday, I am short on time. I loved the Holiday Inn reference. It's one of our favorite films, and we often quote lines from it.

Wednesday's dinner was simple: turkey bacon and tomato on the Len's buns that I baked this morning, along with microwaved green beans from our garden, and slices of cantaloupe from an excellent melon that I got at the farmers' market last Saturday.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Oh, I think they know, even though we don't send in baked goods very often these days due to new UNL guidelines on bringing in food from outside. But my wife's lunch leftovers are sometimes gourmet treats.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.