What are You Cooking the Week of April 2, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of April 2, 2017?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Ah, a new month of cooking adventures is upon us. My husband is making dinner tonight (roasted turkey and sweet potatoes are featured). However, for those of you in the kitchen, here's new thread so that you can tell us what you are stirring up.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Something new for me. Today I made roasted pork tenderloin with mushrooms. Was very good and have enough left for the next 2 or 3 days.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I made carnitas this week. It's been a long time since I made it. We've had two meals from it so far and I think I'll get at least one more lunch out of it but my 13 year old is an eating machine.

I mixed it with this neat rice mix from Trader Joe's on Sunday night and last night with broccoli.

The pork butt was actually pretty fatty despite having been "trimmed". I may have to find a different place to buy my meat. Costco has very nice quality but I do not have enough freezer space for the quantity.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Tuesday dinner was sautéed red bell pepper and mushrooms with broccoli, cubed leftover pork, a rice blend, and green onions.

Bronx
            Participant

Chicken breasts are on sale at Albertson's this week so roast chicken breast will be on our menu this Sunday, along with home grown yellow sweet potatoes. Not sure about veggies yet.

Bronx

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I like to roast chicken breasts on a bed of mirepoix (onions, celery and carrots), which covers providing both vegetables and a light sauce.

I made this recently using some white wine vinegar because I didn't have an open bottle of white wine, the extra acidity was an improvement. I also dusted the breasts with dill weed and celery seed. And since they were skinned, I covered them with a slice of Swiss cheese so that the breasts didn't get tough on the outside.

Italiancook
                Participant

Today, I made Lickin' Chicken from Cook-Ahead Cookery. Since it's made the day before, it won't be baked until tomorrow. It's hard to imagine what Lickin' Chicken really is. It's chicken breasts marinated and baked in olive oil, Worcestershire, and herbs.

I discovered today that posting what I bake and cook comes in handy. I discovered a pint of chop suey in the refrigerator. I couldn't remember when I made it, which should have been my first clue. I came to this site to find out when I posted making it. March 31st. I fed it to the garbage disposal and hope to not make this mistake ever again!

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I thought I saw an ad some years ago for post-it-notes that were designed to be used in the refrigerator, the glue was over a somewhat larger part of the back surface so it stuck better in a cold damp environment, but I've never actually SEEN them on sale anywhere, so maybe I was hallucinating.

Restaurants have to label everything in the fridge by product and date, it's one of the things restaurant inspectors check for, it's a good habit to form at home. (I don't remember to do it most of the time, either.)

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Tupperware had some great labels, but I stopped buying them when they insisted that I buy a new plastic holder each time rather than refill labels. I now use Avery File Folder Labels from the office store and write on them with a waterproof sharpie pen. It is a good idea to remove the label before thawing the container of food.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Restaurants often just use masking tape and a marker.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

Masking tape and a Sharpie - a pen works too, but the Sharpie is better. You to only put the date you put it in the fridge, but also the date a week out.

This week was chicken week at our house. Monday I made slow cooker Buffalo chicken in my new crockpot which is very nice. Thursday I made sheet pan Fajitas and I've gotten that recipe right where I want it and last night I tried a new recipe for a Thai chicken/vegetable salad with lime peanut dressing. It was quick and really delicious. Rarely do I make something new that I don't want to tinker with, except for maybe a touch Oslo salt, but that's just me. And it made a lot, so the 3 of us each had a large serving and there are leftovers.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by cwcdesign.
                          • This reply was modified 7 years ago by cwcdesign.
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.