What are you Baking the Week of September 13, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of September 13, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking plans here yet.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Sunday morning breakfast was my own recipe for Wholegrain Waffles (whole wheat, cornmeal, buckwheat, wheat germ, and flax). I decided to wait to stir in the oil until after I mixed in the combined eggs and buttermilk. They seem to come out less soggy and crisper this way, so I will mix that way in the future.

BakerAunt
        Participant

To go with the rest of the soup for Sunday dinner, I decided to try baking the recipe for Classic Scones that appeared in the May 2004 issue of Bon Appetit (p.90). These are a Scottish scone which only calls for 1 Tbs. of oil and no butter. I have written about it in the thread where I first asked about it: British vs. American Self-Rising Flour. These are delicious, and I will do more experimenting with the recipe.

skeptic7
          Participant

I did a cheese pizza Sunday which turned out very nicely.
            Baker Aunt, the scones sound great. None of my recipes are that low fat. How well do they keep? Do you feel an urge for clotted cream and jam when you eat them?

BakerAunt
            Participant

Hi, Skeptic--it's good to see you posting again. I had two of the scones at lunch. I warmed each up, wrapped in waxed paper for 40 seconds, and they were almost as good as fresh. I did have some jam on one. If you are interested, I'll post the recipe as I've developed it so far. I hope to try a whole wheat pastry flour version. I like the sweet taste that the barley gives these scones. The recipe uses only 1 Tbs. sugar, and it made eight.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I picked up some sliced corned beef, I'll make bagels later this week.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Tuesday, I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I’ll bake it at the end of the week or early next week.

skeptic7
                  Participant

Baker Aunt;
                    I'd love to have a whole wheat scone recipe. I just got back the results from my blood test and the Cholesterol is slightly too high. I think I'll try using less butter and cheese in my cooking and see if it makes a difference next year. I'm going to go back over the old messages and see how you changed your recipes. Do you try to cut out animal fat too?

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I'll post it later today, Skeptic. They remind me a bit of biscuits.

I use 1/3 cup canola (or sometimes olive oil) in place of butter. Of course that does not work for every recipe. (I've had to give up a lot of cookies and shortbread.) Butter is a big one, since a single tablespoon contains 7 g saturated fat, and most women should limit themselves to 11g per day. I try to make sure that the saturated fat that I do consume includes some healthy fats. Canola oil has 1 g saturated fat per Tablespoon, and olive oil has 2 g, but both contain other healthy fats. Ditto with eggs.

For cheese, I stick with small portions of 2% pre-grated cheese (I can't get it ungrated where I live) or low-fat mozzarella (no more than 3g per oz.). Some low-fat mozzarella cheese sticks are 1.5g saturated fat, and they do give a nice calcium boost, so I include those as snacks. I drink 1% milk. While I use about 3/4 cup whole milk when making yogurt, it gets combined with 1% milk and some milk powder, so the saturated fat remains low, and I do need the dietary calcium.

I still use some butter--in streusel toppings, but I usually halve the streusel and keep the butter to a minimum.

We do not eat much beef, and we stick with less fatty pork. We eat a lot of chicken, as well as tuna and salmon. I cook my chicken on a rack and pour off the fat and do not eat the skin. (I do however roast whole chickens on potatoes and carrots, so some fat is included there.) I try to incorporate more beans, but my husband and most beans do not get along, so I do most of those recipes for myself for lunch. We do a lot of lean ground turkey, which I try to pair with ingredients that will make it not so bland.

I eat steel-cut oats for breakfast almost every morning. My cholesterol was 25 points lower last year (and that was with having eaten breakfast). I'm curious as to what it will be at my next doctor's visit.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Skeptic, funny that you should ask about whole wheat scones today! I just now ate one -- my first using whole wheat pastry flour. I was gifted a bag, from KAF, and have never used pastry flour in my life. I looked at recipes using it on the KAF website, and read a lot of comments bakers posted. It sounded like scones and biscuits made from this flour were wonderful! (I must note **** that I use a LOT of whole wheat flour, love the flavor and the texture it imparts; I have made whole wheat scones subbing whole wheat flour for 1/2 of the called for AP flour, and they were fine). So, just 3 minutes ago, I ate one of the fresh scones. Oh, no! It completely fell apart! Just crumbled into pieces. It did not stick to the scone pan, just broke into crumbs. I had to use a spoon to get the pieces out of the pan. And I had to use a spoon to eat it! The flavor was excellent. The recipe was, roughly: 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (subbed for 3 cups AP), 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 stick of butter, 3 oz cream cheese, 1/2 cup half and half, salt, vanilla, chopped dried apricots. So much fat, so tender, and less structure from the low protein pastry flour -- they just collapse. Not a greasy mouthful, surprisingly, but I believe there is just too much fat to hold it together. Now, I'll look for other recipes that use whole wheat pastry flour. I welcome comments from anyone!

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Chocomouse--I usually use just half whole wheat pastry flour when I substitute it into a recipe. The same is true for barley flour. They give a more tender result, but alone I do not think that they have the structure to hold the final scone together.

On Wednesday, I baked a version of the KAF recipe for Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bars—the one made in the food processor. I changed it by using 5.9 oz. zucchini, reducing the brown sugar from 1 to ¾ cup, reducing the oil from 1/3 to ¼ cup with buttermilk added to make it 1/3 cup. I used the white whole wheat flour option. I replaced the 2 cups of chocolate chips with about 1/3 cup (60g) cinnamon chips (I still have a substantial stash in the refrigerator.), and I added 1 tsp. cinnamon and deleted the vanilla. I baked them in a glass 13x9 inch dish on the third rack up in my oven for 28 minutes. I am avoiding acidic ingredients in my USA pans. They seem to do ok with items that are removed immediately but the finish seems to suffer when the baked item is stored in them.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Thanks for that info, BakerAunt. That would have been my instinct, but I read on the KAF comments that some folks were subbing 1:1. I usually sub in whole wheat for only half the AP or Bread flour, and it seems to work well. I'll try the pastry flour again in a few weeks and sub only half the AP.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I've never had much luck with whole wheat pastry flour, which is, unfortunately, about the only kind of pastry flour available locally.

I have had better luck with fresh ground whole meal from soft red spring wheat for things like croissants, I haven't tried it for a pie crust. White pastry flour is one of the few things I still buy from King Arthur. (I think the next time I need medium rye flour I'm going to see if I can get it from Sysco, or order a 50 pound bag from Baker's Authority.)

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I use some whole wheat pastry flour (Bob's Red Mill) in my pie crust. I use 1 1/4 cup AP and 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour for a single deep dish pie crust. I started using Bob's because it was less expensive and works well.

Added Note: This is an oil pie crust with some buttermilk. I have used a small amount in a butter crust, back when I was making butter crusts, but I think that I kept it at about 25% of the flour.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Skeptic--I've now posted the recipe as "Scottish Style Scones (Barley)". At some point, I will likely try it with whole wheat pastry flour, and if successful, also post that version.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do your pumpkin biscotti recipe!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.