What are you Baking the Week of October 1, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 1, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

It's October already, seems like it was June not that long ago.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I baked cinnamon rolls on Sunday morning. See details in thread "Lining Pan for Cinnamon Rolls??"
        I had two for breakfast. My husband had one of his at tea time and the other for dessert tonight.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I made ciabatta rolls. Not sure what else I'll make this week,

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Today I baked another pumpkin pie and had about 3/4 cup left of puree so I upped the ingredients just a little and another egg and divided the pumpkin in two pie shells and they baked up really nice.Gave one to one of the friends we visit and kept one.I also made the pie crusts and got 5 pie crusts that were 7.2 oz. each.Sorry I posted this on wrong page so I copied it.

chocomouse
            Participant

I mad two loaves of rye bread today.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I may have to make some rye bread, what I had in the freezer I had to toss out in August when we had freezer problems. I'll probably make Reinhart's marbled rye from BBA, that's a nice mild rye and it makes great reubens.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I baked Pumpkin Snacking Cake today, using peanut pumpkin puree that I froze last year. I love the combination of spelt, buckwheat, and chia seed with pumpkin.

skeptic7
                  Participant

I did the Japanese Milk Bread on Sunday -- successfully. Some of the previous iterations turned out badly. It turned out fluffy and its staying moist well. I stuck mainly to the KAF recipe only adding just a little more flour to the dough, and a dusting of flour to make it into rolls. From previous tries enough flour to be hand kneadable makes it too dry and dense. Also it needs to be kneaded around 10 minutes in the stand mixer after the dough is stirred together.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I made a batch of Semolina/rye/wheat buns. But instead of the usual 8 buns, I made 6, withholding some dough for a pizza.

The pizza was onion and pepperoni. The crust came out very nice, soft and tender.

IMG_2007

Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Your pizzas always look so good, mine look like a bad imitation of a Picasso painting.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I'm building up my wheat starter as I feed it (2x a day) and am hoping to make a batch of sourdough cheese cracker dough tomorrow, probably baking them on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

skeptic7
                          Participant

That pizza looks delicious.

Mike;
                            Is this one of your mini starters? I hope it works out.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Yes, I've been maintaining it at about 40-50 grams (post-feeding) for several weeks, but I've built it up over the last few days to around 300 grams, which should give me plenty for a batch of crackers and probably a test loaf of semolina bread. I'll start by removing enough to resume the maintenance level, then see how much I have left after making cracker dough. I will say that so far it appears twice-daily feedings are working well, no signs of 'hooch', which at least one sourdough researcher has said means the starter colony is starving.

I'll probably do the same thing with the rye starter soon and try it with a recipe I've made before. It smells right, though.

chocomouse
                              Participant

This morning I made an apple pie for my husband, and apple-cinnamon muffins for myself. Soon, I will start pizza dough for our dinner pizza tonight.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Len your Pizza looks great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.