What are you Baking the Week of November 6, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 6, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Hope those of you on daylight savings time remembered to set your clocks back an hour today, sundown will come SO much earlier!

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

The time change is welcomed here in north-central Indiana!

On Sunday morning, I used my last Spy Gold apple to bake an Apple Spiced Muffin recipe that I adapted from Beatrice Ojakangas' Light and Easy Baking. The baking book was designed to use less fat, but there still was plenty, so I set to work. I replaced 4 Tbs. of melted, unsalted butter with 4 Tbs. canola oil. I replaced half the AP flour with barley flour. I used buttermilk rather than plain nonfat yogurt. I reduced the brown sugar from ½ to 1/3 cup. I decided to forgo the topping (1/4 cup brown sugar and that much flour, with 2 Tbs. melted butter) and instead used the Penzey's Cinnamon Sugar to sprinkle lightly on top before baking. I baked the recipe as twelve muffins, using sprayed fall muffin papers. The result is a not particularly sweet but tasty muffin that I will bake again.

chocomouse
        Participant

I've embarked on a new project! I want to use up a lot of things in my pantry - I have products I bought to make a "special" new recipe, but by the time I bought that item, I couldn't remember what it was for. So I have things on hand that I used once, or maybe even not at all. I have to get rid of them. I'm sure this is a familiar feeling for many of you! I've started a list of those ingredients, and am searching through my recipes and online for recipes that call for the item. Any recipe that looks promising, I print out and clip to my list. So far, on my list are VT cheese powder, coconut flour, almond flour, pecan meal, high gluten flour - and that is only the beginning. I hope this is a fun journey!

BakerAunt
          Participant

In the afternoon, I baked Lime Pecan Biscotti using lime juice frozen from last year and zest from a lime from my tree.

Chocomouse--You should start a "Use It Up" thread. We could all discuss those ingredients that are sitting on our shelves and motivate ourselves to use them.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I baked a small pan of corn bread to go with stew.

cwcdesign
              Participant

Your timing is impeccable, chocomouse. Our new refrigerator came last week and Will claims the freezer doesn't hold as much but he got it all in. We've decided to buy the flour containers from KABC that are made in New Zealand and hold a 5lb bag of flour. But first, we'll put the flour in the freezer for 24 hours just to make sure any potential critters are gone.

Then I discovered my "dead" bananas were in there so I made 2 loaves of whole grain banana bread, one for us and one for work. They had a comment in the tips about subbing some maple syrup for some of the brown sugar and they mentioned that you needed to add an extra tablespoon of flour (per loaf). I did that and am really happy with the results. They were baked in the new oven which is great! Will baked sourdough today.

I also have a full bag plus a partial one of the sprouted wheat flour that's taking up room.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Monday, I made dough for Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I will bake them at the end of the week.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Cwcdesign so glad to hear you're getting all your upgrades in the kitchen all installed, awesome!

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Today's cinnamon rolls:
                      rollsnov9

Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      chocomouse
                      Participant

I made the Burger Buns and shaped them into 6 hamburger and 6 hot dog buns for the freezer.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

That's a lot of cinnamon rolls, Mike. They should go well with all that chili you made!

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

3/4 of them went into the freezer. (They freeze very well.)

chocomouse
                            Participant

I just made corn cakes, big flat round ones, in a cast iron "muffin" pan. As usual, I used maple sugar and maple syrup in the batter; it doesn't make it very sweet, but does add maple flavor. I will spread them with fig jam for dinner.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I baked my sourdough pan pizza, with the usual toppings for dinner on Friday. We had it with a small salad that featured cherry tomatoes from our plant. The sauce for the pizza was made with our tomatoes--the ones that look pretty and taste blah, although cooking improves them. I also used one of our red bell peppers.

chocomouse
                                Participant

So nice that you still have produce coming from your garden! If you add enough garlic, oregano, etc. you will overcome the flavorless tomatoes!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.