What are You Baking the Week of May 5, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of May 5, 2019?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday afternoon, I fed my sourdough starter. I made a double recipe of dough for my lower fat variation of Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I made one change: instead of using 2 Tbs. special dried milk from KAF, I used ¼ cup of Bob’s Red Mill powdered milk. I’ll bake the crackers later this week, after the dough has some time in the refrigerator.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I baked a half batch of a recipe Joan has posted on this site -- Chocolate Chip Cookies from Mom's Recipe Collection by Susan Harder. I didn't like the texture, but my husband loved it. He was happy to accept the majority of the cookies as his own stockpile.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Sorry you didn't like cookies, Italiancook but glad your husband did.

Today I baked my sourdough with Crisco instead of oil(I was out of oil),the dough was made last night and sat overnight on counter.I kneaded it and baked this morning and I can say it's just as good if not better with the Crisco.It was about 4 and a half inches high and the crumb was good and not as heavy as the last bread,which could be because my starter is really vigorous right now.I made the whole recipe which makes two loaves and I'm giving one to my friend tomorrow.

BakerAunt
          Participant

We were out of bread, so I used my basic recipe for kneading in the bread machine, that includes 1 ½ cup bread flour, then varied the ingredients. I used ¾ cup Harvest Grains and ¼ cup rolled 5-grain mix from Bob’s Red Mill. I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour and ½ cup white rye flour. I reduced the yeast from 2 tsp. to 1 ¾ tsp. I went ahead and baked it in an 8 ½ x 4 1/2 -inch loaf pan, but it is slightly too much dough, so there is a bit of a side slump on the sides of the pan. Still, the loaf looks good and smells wonderful, so I look forward to slicing it tomorrow.

skeptic7
            Participant

I baked whole wheat English Muffins Sunday morning and took them to Maryland Sheep and Wool to share some with chocomouse. She was in a little booth in the big barn selling yarn and crochet hooks.
              I also baked some pumpkin cranberry quick bread to share with my other friends. Chocomouse was being good and avoiding sugar so she didn't want to taste any. I was sharing food with people since I had done so very little knitting this year. I only had one simple hat to show off.

BakerAunt
              Participant

It's so nice when site members get to meet each other! It's even better when they get to bake for one another.

I spent Tuesday morning shelling pecans from our Texas stash. In the afternoon, I made Apple Cinnamon Bars, using my much-adapted recipe from the KAF site. I replaced the 6 Tbs. of butter with 4 ½ Tbs. canola oil and reduced the brown sugar by a third. I used the other half of a jar of apple butter that was in the refrigerator. I replaced the AP flour with ¾ cup white whole wheat and ½ cup barley; I added 1 Tbs. flax meal and 1 tbs. Bob’s Red Mill powdered milk. I cut the cinnamon chips to 45g (scant 1/3 cup). After they cooled, I glazed with my lower-fat adaptation. I always halved the recipe, as it makes too much, but I replaced the water and butter with two “mini-moos” half and half. I used glazing sugar, which I still have from when KAF sold it. The bars are delicious.

After the bars came out, I made my Cherry-Pecan Granola, but I cut the coconut amount from 1 cup to ½ cup, since ¼ cup coconut has 9g saturated fat. I also added 1 Tbs. flax meal.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
                chocomouse
                Participant

It was great to meet and chat with Skeptic at Maryland Sheep and Wool, although I was a little busy helping my sister manage sales at her booth. On Saturday, Skeptic brought me some delicious apple challah bread, which had a nice flavor, subtle flavor. Then, on Sunday, she returned with the whole wheat English muffins, as she knew from my postings here that I had been struggling to get a good recipe. Skeptic, I'm sort of glad you did more baking than knitting - fiber in baked goods tastes a lot better than the fiber in hand-dyed yarns!! We'll be back there next May, and I hope we can meet up again. I can't share my baked goods, since we leave here by 7:00 Wednesday morning, and they would not be very fresh by Saturday, but I can find some baking supplies at KAF!

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Thursday afternoon, I baked my Lower-Fat Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made last week.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I made the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies that were KAF's recipe of the year a few years ago, my first time making them. The flavor was fantastic, but I didn't like the texture - they didn't spread at all, and seemed dry. They were brown on the bottoms (bottom element was replaced) but a pale white on top. I have the new element in my oven, but not sure it is working right, although maybe it is just my perception as the old element might have been failing over time, giving me odd results. My hamburger buns and bread, baked on different days, were pale, although I followed the usual recipes. The scones were way over cooked, top, bottom, and middle. Guess I'll just have to keep baking more to figure this out.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

You may want to get an oven thermometer (if not more than one) that you can monitor from outside the oven to see if you can figure out what's happening. It may be as simple as your oven needs re-calibration because of the new bottom element.

I remember when we were first married we had an apartment with an oven that wasn't working properly, the bottom element worked only intermittently, and the top element would kick into pre-heat cycle to compensate, though we didn't figure that out for a while. My wife was essentially broiling things, which didn't work very well with an angel food cake she tried to make for my birthday and even worse on a turkey.

skeptic7
                        Participant

Oven thermometers are wonderful. I was told to get one after a cake domed up when I was trying to bake it. I found that oven ran 25 degrees too high. My current oven says its finished preheating when its about 50 degrees off -- it will eventually reach the proper temperature if you wait long enough.

I baked an apple slab pie last Tuesday with Winesaps and Gold Rush apples which had spent the winter in my refrigerator. The apple slab has more pie crust than a round pie and I was hankering for the crust.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Yesterday I baked a batch of Vienna Bread using the Clonmel Double Crusty recipe.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.