What are you Baking the Week of May 29, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 29, 2022?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The strawberry souffle is a recipe that needs practice, especially on the timing, I'm not sure about the baking instructions, either, it has you start at 475 for five minutes and that seems awfully high to me.

I was afraid the top was going to burn, so I took it out and it was still kind of soupy at the bottom, but tasted good. We had some, then I put the rest back in for a while and that helped, but by then the top was starting to smell like it was ready to burn, though it tasted fine.

As my wife said, this recipe is not ready for company yet. But we both gobbled it down, and I will definitely file this under the 'try it again' column.

I had some on one of the chocolate genoise slices that I froze two weeks ago, that was excellent.

aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

I made a double batch of KAB potato buns. I already made a single batch earlier in the week.

Sam is home! And Henry likes whatever takes the least effort for him to eat so since he doesn't have to cut these he eats them too.

It seems like they have a lot of salt so I doubled the recipe without doubling the salt and they taste good. I also subbed out a quarter of the white flour for whole wheat.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Feed those hungry mouths, Aaron! It is work, but it is a delight.

Most King Arthur recipes have what I consider too much salt. Do you think that they own stock in a salt corporation? Or maybe that is what baking schools teach then? Someone once responded to a poster by stating that the salt is "necessary for the structure of the bread," but I have not found that to be true. I usually reduce the salt in their recipes by a third, and I cut it by half in the Rustic Sourdough I baked earlier this week.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've experimented with salt and find that you can take it down to about 0.75% of flour weight (many recipes are at 2%) before you see many structural issues with bread, though below 1% I do notice some taste issues and the yeast growth might be less restrained.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.