What are you Baking the week of March 29, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of March 29, 2020?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

I made maple-cinnamon scones yesterday, although the journey began the previous day. I've not been able to buy cinnamon chips in any store for several years now, But these scones are one of my husband's favorites. I can't seem to plan ahead for when I want to make them, but always want to bake them NOW! So ordering on-line is out, especially these days when either supply or delivery issues could mean waiting a month. So I googled how to make cinnamon chip at home. I found a number of recipes, all very similar, and two days ago I made a batch.

They turned out fine, and were quick and very easy to make. They are not hard like regular chips, but crumble easily so I had to be gentle when stirring them into the batter. Next time, I might increase the baking temp and or time by a few minutes to see if that makes them a little more firm. In the finished product, they were a nice burst of cinnamon flavor.

The recipe made almost 2 cups - I used 1 cup and have the rest in the freezer for another time. You could also substitute other flavors (ginger?) for the cinnamon. I might try some lemon..... or orange, in chocolate bread....

BakerAunt
      Participant

Update on the fruited sourdough bread: it is delicious, especially with Land o' Lakes Light Butter Canola Spread, or the Greek Yogurt-Cream Cheese Blend that Kroger makes. My husband and I both had some at breakfast. I though that perhaps I should have added more sugar in the dough, but my husband says it is fine as it is. It has a soft interior texture. The crust did get "wrinkly" as it cooled, but the taste is what is important.

BakerAunt
        Participant

My husband and I noticed that our York apples need to be used, so I used eight of the remaining ten to bake an apple pie. I used my oil crust, which I roll out before fitting into the Emile Henry deep-dish pie plate, and I use Bernard Clayton’s French Apple Pie recipe, which is an apple pie with a streusel topping instead of a top crust. I reduce the streusel ingredients by 25%, except for the butter, which I reduce by half. I always par-cook the filling, since I need to par-bake the oil crust. It should rest until tomorrow, but I suspect that my husband will want to cut into it for dessert tonight.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Friday, I also baked Grape Nuts Bread. We liked the more whole wheat version that I had done last time, so I followed those changes. I wanted to use up some of the high gluten flour, so I used 1 cup bread flour, one cup high gluten flour, and one cup AP (all KAF). I kneaded at speed 3 on my Cuisinart mixer for 6 minutes and 30 seconds before getting a windowpane. The dough had great rises, and oven spring was good. They are now cooling on a rack. We will cut one tomorrow; the other will be frozen for later.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I had ripe bananas so I made two loaves of banana bread and will give one to my sister in law.

Italiancook
              Participant

Like others, I had difficulty finding KAF AP. I have some bread flour from 2018. I checked KAF website and found I could use it successfully in place of their AP. So I made Foccacia with bread flour. I didn't notice any difference from the switch or from the age of the bread flour.

I also made KAF Now or Later Pizza. I made it as 2-9" pizzas. Baked, they were like a pizzaria pan crust, and we liked it. Enjoyed the change from think crust, but will make it thin next time. I put artichokes from Sam's (thanks, Mike) and bacon on it. I par-cooked the bacon beforehand. For the thickness of the crust, I didn't have enough cheese on them. I used 10 ounces total, and they could have used more.

Mike, I see now what you mean about Sam's artichokes not lasting a long time. The expiration date on the lid is several months away, but the artichokes were soft and mushy. Used them anyhow, and they tasted fine. No more in stock, but it looks like it'll be a while before the governor lets us out long enough to feel good about going to Sam's.

Italiancook
                Participant

Like others, I had difficulty finding KAF AP. I have some bread flour from 2018. I checked KAF website and found I could use it successfully in place of their AP. So I made Foccacia with bread flour. I didn’t notice any difference from the switch or from the age of the bread flour.

I also made KAF Now or Later Pizza. I made it as 2-9″ pizzas. Baked, they were like a pizzaria pan crust, and we liked it. Enjoyed the change from thin crust, but will make it thin next time. I put artichokes from Sam’s (thanks, Mike) and bacon on it. I par-cooked the bacon beforehand. For the thickness of the crust, I didn’t have enough cheese on them. I used 10 ounces total, and they could have used more.

Mike, I see now what you mean about Sam’s artichokes not lasting a long time. The expiration date on the lid is several months away, but the artichokes were soft and mushy. Used them anyhow, and they tasted fine. No more in stock, but it looks like it’ll be a while before the governor lets us out long enough to feel good about going to Sam’s.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

They'll keep well until opened, but once they're opened you've got maybe 3-4 weeks to use them up. We put them on salads a lot. But they're still a lot better than the ones available at the grocery store.

Italiancook
                    Participant

I have 2 boules Cuban Bread in the oven. It's a 90-minute bread, so it uses a lot of yeast. 2 tablespoons. I debated a long time whether to give up that much yeast. In a few minutes, I'm going to make KAF Now or Later Pizza dough to refrigerate for tomorrow's pizza.

skeptic7
                      Participant

I made another batch of Hot Cross buns, the texture is good but this recipe has much less fruit and currents than I normally use. The texture is much more like a regular dinner roll it has so little fruit to weigh it down. The recipe was a gift from a friend but she won't leave the house to pick some up. She wants me to freeze a couple for her.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.