What are you Baking the week of June 9, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of June 9, 2019?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Friday, I baked Sub[marine] rolls, using a recipe that came with a 5-well perforated pan that I bought from KAF years ago. I played with the recipe a bit. I substituted in 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour. I substituted in an additional ½ cup of white rye flour. I added ¼ cup special dried milk, and I substituted ½ cup of buttermilk for that much water. I used 2 Tbs. olive oil in place of 2 Tbs. butter, and I reduced the salt form 1 Tbs. to 2 tsp. I replaced the 1 Tbs. of sugar with 1 Tbs. of honey. I needed to add an additional ½ cup plus 2 Tbs. of flour to the dough. It was a slack dough, but then the recipe works best if not too much additional flour is added. A little oil on my silpat mat helped me form the rolls. We will eat two or three of them, and I’ll freeze the rest.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Saturday is another rainy, cool day. I baked a new recipe, Granola Bars with Dried Fruit and Seeds,” by Katherine Sacks, which appeared on Epicurious on Sept. 2017:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/granola-bars-with-dried-fruit-and-seeds

I made a few changes: I reduced the honey to ½ cup, the salt to ¼ tsp., the coconut to ¼ cup, deleted the vanilla, and added 1 tsp. of chia seed in order to empty a container in the refrigerator. I used peanut butter (the kind that is only peanuts and minimal salt). I don’t know why the recipe says to spray the pan AND line it with parchment. I did not spray the pan. I used metal clips to arrange the parchment in the pan. I used dried fruit mix from KAF, as I had it on hand, along with a few dried cranberries.

I'll add a note after we sample them. I hope that they will work out. One of my nieces seems to have an allergy to tree nuts, so I wanted a dessert/snack bar that she could eat. It's also vegan, and two of my nephews follow that diet.

Promised Note: The granola bars are excellent. They are chewy. The recipe says that if you want them crisp, cut them into bars and put them back into the oven.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
        • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
        chocomouse
        Participant

I baked two loaves of oatmeal-whole wheat bread.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For Saturday night’s dessert, I baked another new recipe, Deb Perelman’s Strawberry Granola Crisp, from a Bon Appetit email.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/strawberry-granola-crisp

I only had 1 ½ pounds of strawberries, so I reduced the recipe by 25% and baked it in a round 8-inch Fire King dish. I forgot to add the two pinches of salt, and I omitted the coconut. We let it rest for 30 minutes, as the recipe states, then had it for dessert with frozen low-fat vanilla yogurt. It was good, but it had a lot of juice. Next time, I would use Clearjel instead of cornstarch.

skeptic7
            Participant

Wednesday evening, I tried baking focaccio in a slowcooker. I placed it directly on the bottom of the slowcooker insert lined with parchment paper. I cooked at on low starting at 11:00 pm. I checked on it at 3:00 am or so and found the temperature was 140 degrees so I left it alone. I looked at it again in the morning and found the temperature was still 140 degrees but the bread was hard and crispy and dry on the bottom half! Not a success. I guess cooking a loaf in its own pan is differnt from cooking flat bread directly on the cooking surface.
              If I try this again, I am definitely checking much sooner like after 3 hours and not only with a thermometer. I ate it ayway even though the texture was more like rusk toast.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.