What are you Baking the week of June 9, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of June 9, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I made a chocolate cake, based on a recipe from the old Recipezaar, posted by Kittencal. She had a lot of good recipes. It's a relatively simple one bowl recipe. I made a few alterations, I subbed one cup of AP flour with white whole wheat flour (it's a 2 1/4 cup recipe), reduced the sugar from 2 cups to 1 1/4 cups, replaced 1/2 cup of oil with Greek yogurt, used 1 whole egg plus 3 egg whites in place of 3 whole eggs and baked it in a 9x13 pan instead of a bundt pan. I recently bought a new 9x13 pan so I wanted to give it a test drive. It came out great, I'm gonna have to write down my changes on the recipe so I can do it again.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by RiversideLen.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I make notes on a post-it note, then stick it on the recipe with followup comments afterwards.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Len--Could you add a question mark to the title of this thread, so that it matches the other "What" threads? I'm thinking long term being able to find it on this site. 🙂

Italiancook
          Participant

Yesterday, the Appliance Apocalypse struck at my house. Plus, my brain went on vacation., I made Banana Coffeecake for breakfast. After I had 3/4 of the batter in the baking dish, it occurred to me that there wasn't much batter. I had forgotten to put in the bananas! I scooped the batter out of the baking dish back into the mixing bowl, added chuncked bananas and let the stand mixer go to work.

After baking the required 25 minutes, I pulled the oven shelf out and realized the upper oven wasn't working up to temp. Instead of being done, the surface was a little brown and bubbly. I raised the oven temp twenty-five degrees and set the timer for 15 minutes. Eight or ten minutes would have been adequate, probably. When the coffeecake was fully baked, it was a little too brown on top and crusty along one edge. It tasted good, though, so mission accomplished.

In the afternoon, I tried a new recipe for dinner rolls to go with Cabbage Soup from the freezer. Using the lower oven. I found the recipe for Sour Cream Rolls at Fleischmann'sBreadworld.com. Since it's listed as a beginner recipe, I figured I could have them prepped and baked in 90 minutes and get rid of sour cream. My downfall in this recipe is that I decided to experiment with paper liners.

I had the idea that my life would be easier if I never again had to grease muffin tins. So I put paper cupcake liners in 6 of the openings to see if they work as good for yeast rolls as for muffins/cupcakes. They do not. The batter barely rose in the liners and didn't spread. After an hour rise. The ones in the greased tins looked perfect for baking. I decided to try a trick my beloved stepmother used.

She never put her bread and rolls in a preheated oven. She wanted the oven spring from the bread going into a cold oven and gradually going up to temp. I don't know if that really works, but I remember her believing it did. So I put the pan into a cold oven, hoping the gradual heating of the oven would force a rise out of the dough in paper liners. I added five extra minutes to the cooking time, which was a huge mistake. I ended up with burnt tops!

On top of that, the rolls were too oily for me with butter spread on them. Still later, I remembered why I had a lonely container of sour cream in the fridge. I have become lactose-intolerant and instead of throwing away the sour cream, I shoved it to the back of the refrigerator. Today, I will throw away 11 rolls. My husband won't eat them with the burnt tops. But at least I know not to use paper liners for yeast rolls!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Italiancook.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I don't mind greasing muffin tins or my popover pan, but cleaning them is a pain. I've been looking at brushes that are the right size and shape for cleaning them and are soft enough so they don't damage ones with a non-stick surface, but I don't think I'll find them locally, so I'll probably have to order them from a catalog or Amazon.

The success of starting bread in a cold oven seems to vary a lot depending on how your oven works during the pre-heat cycle. For some ovens it works great, for others, no so much.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I bought a rectangular cube sponge from KAF a few years ago that works well to clean muffin tins. I later found them at T.J. Maxx and bought a couple more.

I fed my sourdough starter on Monday. I made pan pizza with my usual sourdough pizza crust. For sauce, I mixed some tomato paste with water and spread it on, before sprinkling liberally with Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset (salt-free blend) and garlic powder. I topped it with browned ground turkey, 8 oz. of sliced mushrooms, red bell pepper, green onion, 4 oz. Mozzarella, and Parmesan. We had it with a salad.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I got my sourdough starter fed twice yesterday so I mixed up a batch of sourdough last night but subbed in a cup of whole wheat,it was great when I cut it this afternoon. I usually do one loaf at a time but I usually add more starter than called for,recipe calls for 1/2 cup but I generally add about about 3/4 cup.Crumb was good and light.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I fed my sourdough starter again and made up a double batch of dough for my lower saturated fat version of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I’ll bake them in a couple of days.

Joan--King Arthur has an interesting sourdough cinnamon roll recipe that I'm tempted to try.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I might give that sourdough cinnamon roll a try BakerAunt.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

I made KAF chocolate whoopie pies yesterday. It's interesting. The cakes were okay on their own without a lot of depth of flavor but were pretty good when mixed with the filling. My kids loved them. My wife cut one in half and ate half and went back for the other which is a good sign.

I brought some over to my "whoopie pie connoisseur" neighbors and I am still waiting for feedback. One of them is completely lacking in tact so she will be brutally honest. She, like my wife, was only going to eat half of one before she went to the gym. I said that if she could eat half and walk away I had failed.

Fun to bake something new.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I just made something interesting, and not my usual style of baking. This is a layered, pudding-type dessert. It starts with a nut based crust, with flour and butter, the only part of this dish that is "home-made". Then a layer of confectioner's sugar, peanut butter, and cool whip (I used generic). Next a layer of vanilla pudding topped with a layer of chocolate pudding. I used instant, no sugar added, with 2% milk. The top layer is plain cool whip drizzled with hot fudge sauce (comes in a plastic jar to heat in the microwave). It was fun to make (well, mostly fun to think about eating it), easy, but lots of steps and over a period of time. I know I'll like it, although I'm sure it would be better if the puddings were made from scratch, the cool whip was real whipped cream, etc! I'd share with you all, unfortunately, none of you live nearby!!

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Yesterday (Wednesday) I baked a strawberry snacking cake from a Bon Appetit email. (Details are in the Baking--Dessert category.) It's not overly sweet, and we liked it as a good alternative when dietary restraints rule out strawberry shortcake.

Today I baked my lower-fat sourdough whole wheat cheese crackers from the dough I made earlier this week.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Chocomouse that dessert sounds like something I'd like,we love cool desserts,We like some called lemon lush,blueberry yum yum and chocolate delight.All made with either canned pie filling or instant jello pudding and cool whip.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Joan, have you ever made the "Impossible" Bisquick pies? I made those years and years ago for my Dad. Cold, creamy, quick and easy - great for summertime. His favorite was coconut, followed by lemon. You just throw ALL the ingredients into a blender, pour into a pie plate, bake -- it forms it's own crust. Lemon lush is a great name!

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Chocomouse I've never made one of the Impossible Pies before,but have seen recipes,I might try one.I've never used Bisquick very much but do have a nice cookbook that was given to me,that recipe is in there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.