What are You Baking the Week of June 11, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of June 11, 2017?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I've not done any baking yet, but for those of you who have, here is the new thread.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

It was too hot to even think about baking yesterday. A big storm rolled through early this morning, we got nearly 3 inches of rain so far. That cooled things off for a while, but if the temperature hits the 95 degree mark they're still calling for it'll be hot AND steamy.

S_Wirth
        Participant

I heard that NE was getting hammered but could not see the map to see where the storms were.

We are always braced for bad storms on June 11. Yesterday we celebrated our 50th anniversary. It was so hot the day we got married the icing was about to slide off the wedding cake and the flowers were needing help. After we left the area, a horrible storm with heavy winds blew thru. There was a large tree down across the road to my parent's place so they had to be creative to get home.

It was plenty hot here yesterday but no storms but we usually have some bad ones that day.

BakerAunt
          Participant

After a long day conducting a moving sale, with temperatures at 102, I did bake two loaves of my Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread this evening, since my husband noted we are about to be out of bread. I used the Gold yeast, because I need to use it up. The first rise was so fast (45 minutes) that I knew the second one would also be fast, and the loaves went into the oven after less than 25 minutes. When using the Gold yeast, I should likely cut back on the amount of yeast. As soon as it comes out of the oven, I'm off to bed because tomorrow is the second day of the moving sale, and temperatures are predicted to be 107F.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Today I made honey wheat bread.
              Honey Wheat Bread

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Mike Nolan.
              cwcdesign
              Participant

A belated happy anniversary Swirth - that is a major milestone!! I hope you didn't get the June 11th storms.

BakerAunt
                Participant

After Saturday's garage sale--and temperatures of 112F!--I needed to bake. I'm trying to use up specialty ingredients before we move, so I baked the KAF Irish Cream Scones.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/irish-cream-scones-recipe

I had a hazy memory of this recipe, and I was surprised that it said butterscotch chips instead of cappuccino chips (but those chips are still in the note). I read the comments, and the reason is that KAF does not sell them anymore. I'll have to locate a new source once we get settled in Indiana. I baked the recipe with the cappuccino chips. It uses the Irish Whole Meal Flour, which I'm also attempting to use up. I used Gold Medal rather than KAF flour, since I wanted the scones to be tender. I added 1/2 tsp. of espresso powder. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of "Irish Cream Liqueur, by which I take it that they mean Bailey's Irish Cream, and 1/4 cup milk. I do not have any Bailey's, and I don't need any more ingredients to use up, so I substituted 1/2 cup of half and half and 1/4 tsp. Irish Cream flavoring. I'll add a note to this post tomorrow about taste and texture.

Promised Note: These scones have a wonderful, light texture. Since the Irish Wholemeal flour always produces a somewhat crumbly bread, it makes sense that the scones would be so light with half of it included. The flavor of the Irish cream, with my variation, is subtle. If I were to use the Bailey's, I think that I would still use half and half rather than milk for the other half of the liquid. These would be good without the chips. I did not make the glaze but just sprinkled with the coarse white sparkling sugar.

I also tried a new recipe, "Brownies with Cream Cheese Swirl," from Bon Appetit (July 1998), p. 130. It was submitted to a feature that Bon Appetit had then, called "The Cook's Exchange," and the recipe is from George Panagos of Decatur, Georgia, who says he won first prize in a baking contest with the recipe. I noted that I had marked it back then as one to try, but who would have thought it would take me 19 years? It called for 6 oz. of Baker's German's Sweet chocolate, another ingredient I need to use up, as well as chocolate chips and walnuts. I'll add a note to this post tomorrow about what we think of them.

Here's the promised note: The recipe made a soft, light-textured brownie with a pretty pattern on top. My husband, younger stepson, and I like them very much, so the recipe is a keeper.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: correction
                  • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added recipe review
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.