What are You Baking the Week of July 21, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of July 21, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday afternoon, I baked a new recipe, “Blueberry Cornmeal Loaf Cake,” from Recipes from the Old Mill: Baking with Whole Grains (Good Books: 1995), p. 217. I made a few changes. I substituted 1/3 of the AP flour with white whole wheat, added 2 Tbs. powdered milk, and used ¾ cup buttermilk instead of ½ cup yogurt and ¼ cup water. It baked in 47 minutes, and possibly would have been ready at 45. It’s cooling on the rack. I’ll add a note after we have sampled it.

Promised Note: It's a light, not too sweet, bread. The blueberries stayed evenly distributed throughout. It's low in saturated fat, so I will definitely bake it again.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made a big batch of banana nut mini-muffins last night.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm taking advantage of the somewhat cooler weather and making Vienna bread today.

BakerAunt
          Participant

After a major thunderstorm, with plenty of rain on Sunday evening, our weather has cooled down as well.

One of the jars of black raspberry jam I made last week did not seal, so I stuck it in the refrigerator, and on Tuesday, I used the Apricot Oatmeal Bars recipe at Nebraska Kitchen to bake Black Raspberry-Oatmeal Bars. I replace the AP flour with white whole wheat, reduce the light brown sugar to ½ cup, and add 2 Tbs. Bob’s Red Mill powdered milk. We really like this recipe.

skeptic7
            Participant

Its wonderfully cool today and I made cheese pizza with mozarella, provalone and cheddar cheese.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Well, that's embarrassing. I meant to "like" Skeptic's post (which I have now done), and I ended up hitting the like button for my own, and it won't let me "unlike" it. Sigh.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Tuesday afternoon, I baked TWO loaves of my Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread (version with whole wheat and barley flour). It’s the first time I’ve baked two loaves of yeast bread since last year (before we had moved into the apt.). I now have room in my kitchen, so pulling the mixer forward is not a problem, and we have two refrigerator-freezers, so I can store the spare loaf.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Early on Wednesday afternoon, I made up my usual double batch of dough for my Lower Saturated Fat, Whole Wheat, Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I accidentally doubled the amount of flax meal, so I don’t know that the result will be when I bake them in a few days. (The dough is better if it has a few days’ rest in the refrigerator.) It is a bit more dense than usual.

Italiancook
                    Participant

Yesterday, my husband made an emergency home repair that involved driving store-to-store looking for the part. So this morning I made him (for the first time) Butterless Drop Biscuits from Stephiecancook-cookpad.
                      https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/908535-butterless-drop-biscuits

My husband said they're "very good," and had 3 with his breakfast. I have a question about the butterless part:

Recipe uses 3/4 cups mayonnaise instead of butter. From a heart-health standpoint, do you think mayo makes them more heart-friendly than butter? Or, are they about the same, since mayo has eggs?

Afterthought: I used only 2 teaspoons of sugar and only 1/4 teaspoon salt, and they are fine.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Italiancook.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

Italian Cook--look on the mayonnaise jar and see how much saturated fat is in a tablespoon of the mayonnaise. It can vary, depending on the brand of mayonnaise that you use. Also, some mayonnaise brands have more sugar, so you can check that as well. (At the moment, in my house, we use low-fat Kraft mayonnaise.)

For reference, butter has 7g of saturated fat per tablespoon.

One egg has 2g saturated fat. However, eggs have important nutrients as well.

According to my milk container, 1 cup of 1% milk has 1.5g saturated fat.

There are 12 tablespoons in 3/4 cup.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        Italiancook
                        Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt, for your detailed help. The 1% Lactaid milk I use has 1.5 g saturated fat per cup. It has 12 g sugar, which seems high to me. I'll have to compare milk labels at the grocery.

I used a calculator to do the arithmetic, but there's no guarantee I'm right. I had a professor who berated all the business students in his class because we need calculators. For what it's worth:

Mayo is more heart-friendly than butter in this recipe, IF 3/4 cup mayo would be equal to 3/4 cup butter. If that's the case, 18 grams saturated fat in the mayo, while 3/4 cup butter would have 84 grams saturated fat.

We don't have heart problems. I asked this question in case I ever want to make drop biscuits for someone with a heart ailment. Online, I found a recipe for olive oil drop biscuits -- 2 actually, and I'll try them both. What amuses me about my interest in drop biscuits is I don't even like biscuits. I eat them with soup if nothing else is available.

I guess I should say that the mayo I use that has 1.5 g saturated fat is full-fat Hellman's mayonnaise. Label says sugar is negligible (not their wording).

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Italian Cook--my guess would be that the amount of mayonnaise may not be equivalent to the amount of butter. When I substitute oil for butter, the ratio is 1/3 cup oil to 1/2 cup butter. To determine the saturated fat in a single biscuit, add up the saturated fat and divide by the number of biscuits.

To get a rough comparison, you could then take a butter biscuit recipe (such as David Lee's, which Zen posted at the Baking Circle, and I posted here), and compare relative size of biscuit and number of biscuits for each.

At any rate, I think that you did reduce saturated fat by using the mayonnaise. Even 4 Tbs. butter would be 28g saturated fat.

I actually considered a chocolate cake recipe that uses mayonnaise for the cake I baked a couple of weeks ago, but when I compare it to King Arthur's Favorite Fudge Birthday Cake (focusing on eggs and canola oil, and amount of chocolate), the King Arthur recipe came out ahead. It's on my list to try an oil based biscuit. Apparently Gullah biscuits, from the south use oil because the butter would not have kept well in the heat.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I made the marbled rye bread from BBA today.

Italiancook
                              Participant

Good to know about the KAF fudge cake recipe, BakerAunt. I have a chocolate mayonnaise recipe that we like. At least I hope I still have it -- haven't made it for a while. I'll keep the KAF recipe in the back of my mind.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Portillo's makes a chocolate mayonnaise cake that is utterly delicious, I've never made one, but we always buy a slice or two whenever we're near a Portillo's location.

Is your recipe one you could post here?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.