What are You Baking the Week of July 2, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of July 2, 2017?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I may bake later this evening, but for those of you already in the kitchen, here's the new thread.

Spread the word
      rottiedogs
      Participant

I baked a few things yesterday for the 4th. Chocolate chip cookies but with red white and blue M&M's instead of the chips.

I also make a brookie - half brownie and half chocolate chip cookie. It is a first time try so we'll see how it goes over.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I did another batch of oatmeal crisps (chocolate chip cookies) for our 4th of July parade and block party tomorrow, I made them a little smaller than usual, using a #100 scoop, since they're mostly for little kids.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Mike Nolan.
          BakerAunt
          Participant

On Monday, I used the KAF Barista Bites recipe, but I added 3/4 cups of hazelnut meal. I will not be dipping these in chocolate, as they would not travel well in the heat. I also made the KAF Irish Cream Scone recipe, but this time, I substituted a cup of pastry flour for the regular flour. I also added a little over 1/2 cup of hazelnut meal (I used it up!). I used 1/2 cup of half and half rather than the Bailey's Irish Cream, and I used hazelnut flavoring rather than the Irish Cream flavoring. I also made corn bread muffins to go with the leftover pot roast for dinner.

Addendum: I did the scones in triangles, but they spread a bit. I probably should have dropped them. However, they are tasty.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
            • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
            RiversideLen
            Participant

I made a peach cobbler using canned peach pie filling. I used a recipe I found on the Duncan Heinz website although I seasoned it my way. I'm of the opinion that cloves and almond extract go great with peaches so I used a 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves and 1/8 teaspoon of almond extract (a little goes a long way). It was a real easy recipe. I've never made a cobbler before. I'll serve it vanilla ice cream and a sprig of fresh mint.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I'm making Chicago Style hot dog buns today, we can't get poppy-seed buns around here, and I'm just in the mood for a Chicago Dog. Besides, what's more American on the 4th of July than a hot dog? (It won't be 100% authentic, no Vienna Beef dogs and no day-glo green relish, but it'll be close enough with celery salt.)

Clove is another spice you need to use sparingly. I once made a batch of pizza sauce with too much clove in it, we ate the pizzas, but they reeked of clove!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by htfoot.
                • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by htfoot.
                cwcdesign
                Participant

I didn't bake Sunday night's dessert which I actually made on Saturday - Girdle Buster Pie - ice cream pie with Oreo crust - Ben & Jerry's was on sale so I used their Urban Bourbon ice cream.
                  Yesterday, I made blondies with peanut butter red, white & blue M&Ms. They were a hit at work this morning

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Tuesday I baked a double batch of my Sourdough Cheese Crackers, using the dough that I made up last week.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Wednesday, I baked my variation on Ellen's (Moomie's) Buns, which I made as a dozen pan rolls. I usually substitute in 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour, but this time, I used a bit of remaining rye flour and buckwheat flour, then made up the difference with whole wheat flour. Instead of the 3/4 cup buttermilk that I usually use, I used up some half and half.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Today I made the Basic Muffin recipe by janloew from the old BC. I added KAF's lemon juice powder (love, love, love this powder for a tart-sweet lemony flavor!) and about a cup and a half of last year's blueberries from the freezer, as well as sour cream to use it up. I should have baked them another couple of minutes, but they are fine and delicious. I also made two loaves of whole grain sandwich bread. I used my regular bread recipe, Maple Buttermilk, from Beth Hensperger's Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook, with lots of substitutions as usual. I used 1/2 cup of KAF's maple granola, to use it up, and 1/2 cup of Bob's steel cut oats. I also used Splenda Cup for Cup, to use it up. We love this bread, an no matter what you sub, it is no fail.

rottiedogs
                        Participant

I posted a scone recipe from janloew but I don't have the muffin recipe. It sounds like it is very versatile. Can you post it? Thanks.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Rottiedogs, I put the Basic Muffin recipe from janloew in the Recipes file. The first time I make a recipe, I follow it exactly, but after that, I often try variations, usually to change the flavor, or make it healthier. I hope you enjoy these muffins. Let us know if you try some changes to it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.