What are You Baking the Week of January 14, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 14, 2018?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

Tonight I made Aebleskivers. I mixed Pizza Seasoning and grated parmesan into the dough, and filled them with a cube of cheddar cheese. Very good.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Today I'm making Vienna Bread from the Double Crusty recipe, but I only used 3/4 of a teaspoon of salt instead of 2 teaspoons.

chocomouse
        Participant

Yesterday I made scones filled with grape jelly. Taste OK, but just OK, not great. Too sweet and not enough grape jelly taste.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Saturday I made a savory star bread with pizza filling as a thank you for some friends who picked up Will from the airport last week while I was still down with the flu. I’m a little nervous that I may not have put enough filling in. I’ve asked for feedback, but haven’t heard yet.

Then I made a batch of beer pizza dough, but Will went out so we didn’t have pizza. I put half in the freezer and we’ll have one tonight or tomorrow

navlys
            Participant

I am baking brownies with Andes peppermint squares in middle.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Yesterday I made a simple French bread recipe. I used bleached AP flour because I have some I want to use up, normally I never use AP for bread. I cut the salt from 1 tsp to 1/4 tsp because my brother was coming over and he is salt restricted. I formed it into the basket weave and baked it with a pan of water in the oven. It came out great, good taste, soft crumb and crunchy crust.

luvpyrpom
                Participant

This week I wanted to try some new things. Made our family's favorite banana bread with white whole wheat flour. Decided to revive my sourdough starter that been dormant in my frig for the last 10 months. It came to life after two days of twice feeding. So with the discard, I made KAF's sourdough date nut cranberry bread, basic sourdough bread, sourdough quinoa honey bread. That basic sourdough bread practically exploded in my oven - the loaf rose twice the height of the 9x5 pan. Wonder if KAF had overestimated the dough, the recipe said it makes one loaf and I could easily make 2 with what I had. I also wanted to try my hand on compound butters but I used margarine instead as I can't eat butter. Orange-cranberry margarine and honey-cinnamon margarine was what I ended up making. Both are pretty good, I did end up freezing a lot of it and have only one little container in the frig.

skeptic7
                  Participant

Saturday I tried making carrot rosemary scones. I took my standard scone recipe and added two cups of grated carrots. Very orange and far too moist. I'll have to try it again with less liquid -- probably start by leaving out the honey for a more savory bread. I was able to add two cups of diced apple to the scone recipe without any other alteration so I thought I could do the same with grated carrots, I guess the carrots release more liquid into the batter.
                    It was a nice bright orange and tasted fine, a little overly sweet.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

They saved the star bread for yesterday and loved it - they dipped it in marinara sauce after they warmed it a little

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.