What are you Baking the Week of February 5, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of February 5, 2023?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Did you use fresh key limes or juice?

Here's a shot of tonight's peanut butter cookies.

IMG_0399

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I did put a chocolate kiss on 4 of the cookies after they were baked, Diane thinks that makes them too sweet.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Mike your cookies look good, I still gotta make them again.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I think I'm going to tackle the Westphalian Pumpernickel from Ginsberg's book next week, 2 days to make it, including 24 hours in the oven, and then it ages for another 2 days before you cut into it.

chocomouse
            Participant

Mike, I used the key lime juice in a bottle from KAF, a birthday gift. The pie doesn't look great, kind of mottled, but my husband said the flavor and texture are excellent. His only complaint is "it is too thin." The KAF recipe calls for only 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, whereas most of the recipes I looked at call for 2 cans.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

My wife doesn't like key lime pie, but I do, I've got a bottle of key lime juice but no plans as to when to use it.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I've got cinnamon rolls rising, I made them bigger than the last few batches because I was experimenting with some techniques to try to keep the rolled up dough more uniform in diameter so the rolls are about the same weight, and then marked them for 2 inch thicknesses like a batch I made last fall, I've been doing 1 or 1 1/2 inches recently. By the time I realized that, I was over half way done cutting.

I wound up with 18 rolls instead of the planned 35.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I made 2 batches of really good maple cornbread today. I baked them in the Lodge cast iron pan they call a mini-cake pan. The outside comes out crisp, but the inside stays soft and tender. The flavor, using both maple sugar and maple syrup is wonderful (of course, being a Northerner, cornbread is always sweetened! unless you add fresh corn kernels.) We ate cornbread with our beef stew, but most of it will go with the chili to the ice fishing derby tomorrow. Yes, the smart folks will not go out on the ice, which is not thick enough yet this winter to hold the weight of a truck, snowmobile, fishing shanty, or maybe even a person. There were 3 deaths in the last 2 days of people who ventured out on the ice of Lake Champlain.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Today's rolls came out a little strange, I used osmotolerant yeast, but I think maybe it's too old, because the bulk rise wasn't as high as I usually get and the final rise was REALLY slow, normally they go in the oven at about 45 minutes, today it was more like 90-120 minutes.

Because they sat so long in final rise, some of the sugar in the filling turned into a liquid (probably exposure to the water in the dough and butter) and leaked out the bottom. I took them off the parchment quickly and put them on two platters, even then some of them were already sticking.

IMG_0400

They still taste pretty good, though. The bottom is almost crunchy and has a butterscotch flavor, not surprising since the filling has brown sugar and butter. The stuff that was left in the pan hardened quickly and can be peeled off the parchment. It is very tasty.

Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

I need to use up the remaining Winesap apples, so I made a dent in the bag by baking an apple pie on Saturday. I am refining the recipe each time. I used white whole wheat flour in the crumb topping, along with 4 scant tablespoons avocado oil. I used convection at 400F to par-bake the crust for 12 minutes. I bake the pie at 375F for 45 minutes with a foil "tent cap," then remove it for the final 10 minutes, removing the pie from the oven when it is bubbly. We will begin slicing it for lunch on Sunday.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.