What are you Baking the Week of February 5, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of February 5, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I still need to make banana nut muffins and we're about of of cinnamon rolls, too.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday, I baked Jam Oatmeal Bars, my slight adaptation of the Apricot Oatmeal Bars recipe on this website.

I also baked the German Spiced Rye Bread from Ginsberg's blog. It is a great favorite, so I am looking forward to slicing it tomorow!

chocomouse
        Participant

I baked 2 loaves of rye bread today.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I made maple granola on Monday since we were almost out of it.

I made sourdough pan pizza for dinner. I experimented with the crust by adding another ounce of water and replacing the additional King Arthur AP flour with barley flour. It made a slightly softer crust, which my husband liked, and we both liked the flavor, so I will do it again. I measure it by weight these days, but that is 1 cup of my milk-based sourdough starter, 1/2 cup barley flour, 1 cup semolina, 1/2 cup durum flour, and 1/2 cup dark rye flour. I add 1 Tbs. special dried milk and 1/2 tsp. salt. I use 5 oz. water and 1 Tbs. olive oil.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Neat BA. After baking straight on the stone for many years now I am coming back to pizza in a pan. Still tinkering but I think the best results for us come from baking first in a pan and then on a stone to finish. I've also started to let them cool on a rack first and then transfer to the cutting board. The bottom crisps up better this way.

Violet and I started checkerboard cookies late Sunday but ran into pizza time so the dough is still chilling in the refrigerator. We'll finish them this afternoon I suspect.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I got a 14x14 baking steel for Christmas, but haven't done anything with it yet, not even season the surface. It should be big enough to handle two free-form loaves, which is what I usually make with most of the bread recipes I have.

We really liked the pizzas I did on the grill last summer, and I'm hoping I can de-winterize the grill around the end of March.

King Arthur's latest pizza email talks about making heart shaped pizzas for Valentine's Day. They even suggest using a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut the pepperoni into hearts.

I can't find Oscar Mayer pepperoni any more, and the other brands available in the grocery stores are either really heavy on garlic or too spicy. Interestingly enough, the pepperoni that Valentino's uses is mild and if it has garlic it isn't enough to bother Diane.

Today is our granddaughter's 16th birthday. Somehow that makes me feel older than turning 73 did in September.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Happy Birthday to your granddaughter Mike.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Tuesday, I baked a double recipe of the Oatmeal Cookies without Butter from "Jenny Can Cook." As usual, I added 2 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill milk powder and flax meal.

I also baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from dough I made last week.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Today I made the little chocolate cake for my husbands birthday- tomorrow he will be 72 and we have both already had a piece tonight.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Happy Birthday to your husband, Joan!

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Yes. Happy Birthday to your husband Joan.

Well, Violet and I cut and baked the checkerboard cookies. Our are 4x4s instead of 3x3s. I could not figure out Duff's method nor could Violet for putting these together so I pulled out my KAF (they were still F not B when I bought this book) cookie book and used their method to make things kind of, sort of, work.

KAF has illustrations and Duff does not. I like illustrations to go with words. And I bet there is even a blog post of the KAB website these days but I didn't think of that until too late.

The dough is good. It is a sable cookie recipe.

Checkerboard-cookies-with-Violet-small-02102023

Kind of wonky but they'll be better next time! And they taste good. They could use browned butte.

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Thanks for the birthday wishes,he enjoyed his day even though it rained just about all day.

Aaron the cookies look good to me, I've never tried them that way.I know you are proud Violet is interested in baking.. that makes me smile.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I've found Duff's recipes hard to follow at times, too.

I'm planning to bake another batch of peanut butter cookies later this evening.

I may do the chili and cinnamon rolls tomorrow, we think this chili is actually better after it has sat for a day and it reheats well.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I baked the Pompanoosuc Porridge Bread on Friday. This time I replaced the 2 Tbs of sugar with 2 Tbs. of maple syrup. It baked nicely in the bottom of the long Emile Henry baker, but the center sunk a bit, so I may have let it rise a bit too long.

Best wishes to your husband, Joan, on his birthday!

Aaron--those cookies look great. I never tried checkerboard cookies, although I did once bake a checkerboard cake using a special pan. I wonder if the checkerboard cake pan would work with an oil-based cake. At any rate, I wish that I were there to sample just one of those cookies.

chocomouse
                                Participant

I made a Key lime pie (my husband's request) and blueberry lemon muffins.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.