What are You Baking the Week of February 19, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of February 19, 2017?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Yes, it's a bread recipe, and it just went in the oven, so it'll be ready for tasting in about an hour.

I"ve made sprouted wheat pancakes from Peter Reinhart's recipe, and a couple of sprouted wheat bread recipes, one we liked and one not so much.

BakerAunt
      Participant

It's nice to have you back, Chocomouse! I'm glad that you are also pursuing some baking therapy.

Tonight, using the last of my cranberries, I baked Cranberry Scones, from Elizabeth Alston's Biscuits and Scones. I have substituted in 1/3 whole wheat pastry flour, added some pecans that come from our tree (I'll miss it when we move), and a bit of orange oil. Most of the scones will be frozen for fast breakfasts over the coming weeks.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Well, my experimental bread was good, but did not really pair well with last night's supper, beef stroganoff. Might be good toasted and spread with peanut butter or apple butter, though.

At first I didn't have enough water in it, but then I had too much and wound up adding some more flour, so I'm not sure of the exact proportions. Probably somewhere around 65-70% hydration. I used some barley malt syrup, I think maybe next time I'll leave that out, or replace it with honey.

Anyway, I wanted to try something new, so I did. It's good, but I think it could be better.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Saturday, I baked Brown Sugar Cardamom Bundt cake, from Rebecca Miller Ffrench's Sweet Home. I also baked Oatmeal Scotchies--a recipe from a bag of Nestles butterscotch chips a VERY long time ago. It's not the recipe that Nestles now has, and I've adjusted it to include some white whole wheat flour. The cake and cookies are for after service social time at church tomorrow. The first time I took the cardamom cake to church, two people asked for the recipe.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
            luvpyrpom
            Participant

So a couple of years ago, I had dried out my sourdough starter and stored them in canning jars. I decided to try to revive some of the starter last week. I also wanted to try baked oatmeal w/cinnamon & raisins to use as potluck dishes in the future. With the unfed starter, I tried KAF sourdough blueberry loaf cake (was really dry and not very sweet at all), sourdough one pan chocolate cake (tasted ok, but not something I would rave about), KAF sourdough buttery biscuits (my oven wasn't hot enough so the margarine melted and "fried" the bottoms of the biscuits. Plus not very big rise in the biscuits either. I also made rustic sourdough boule yesterday and gifted to my brother and his family as I'm planning to bake a lot more this week.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.