What are You Baking the Week of February 19, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of February 19, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

If you have started your baking this week, let us know what delights will be coming out of your oven. The rest of us will catch up over the coming week.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Today I made a half dozen bread rolls and a half dozen baked doughnuts. I bought some disposable piping bags and piped the doughnut batter into the pan, that worked out real well, better then using a zip lock bag. Chocolate frosting topped with coconut.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Tuesday morning, I baked Oatmeal Date Muffins, a recipe that appeared years ago in the Los Angeles Times food section. I have now posted it on this site, as it is a favorite that I often bake. This time I used half white whole wheat flour, and it worked well.

RiversideLen
          Participant

BakerAunt, those muffins sound good, I like that they use a lot of oats.

I forgot to mention that when I made my doughnuts, I subbed maple syrup for the sugar. I have syrup that needs to get used plus they claim maple syrup has nutritional benefits over refined sugar. But the main thing is I have syrup to use up. Per info I got off the 'net, Maple Syrup World, I used 75% the amount of syrup that what the recipe calls for in sugar. They also suggest to reduce the amount of other liquids by 3 tablespoons per cup of maple syrup used. I didn't bother with that because I only used 3 ounces of syrup. I also subbed egg yolks with flax seed meal. The flour was KAF whole wheat pastry. Now I can convince myself that the doughnuts are a health food, lol. They came out fine.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Riverside Len: Those doughnuts pass my health food test!

I decided in the afternoon that I'd like a special bread to go with the leftover roast beef we would be eating, and I had 4 oz. of asiago cheese to use up. I grabbed my copy of the King Arthur Wholegrain Baking Book, and found "Rosemary-Asiago Chop Bread" on pp. 240-241.It uses whole wheat and barley flour, and only a small proportion of bread flour. The instructions are mostly clear, although when it said to form the dough into a 9 x 12 inch oval, then spread the cubes of cheese on half of it, I was not sure whether that meant lengthwise or widthwise. I decided to spread it widthwise, and I then folded the other half over it, then worked it into a 7-inch circle. The dough seemed a bit dry, so I used some water to help seal cracks. It goes into an 8-inch round pan, then the baker uses one corner of a bench knife to make cuts all over the top, down to the bottom but not through the bottom. It baked as a round flat loaf with chunks of cheese in every slice. I didn't have cheese oozing out the top, so maybe my cuts were not deep enough. However, it was great with the leftover roast and should be excellent with soup.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Bronx
              Participant

The oranges on my tree in the back yard are beginning to ripen so I'm going to make some orange bread this weekend.

While the oven is hot I might as well make a loaf of peanut bread too. A lot of people don't care for it but I like it. I'll have to risk using my recalled Cuisinart food processor blade to chop up the peanuts, though. Too lazy to chop them by hand.

Bronx

BakerAunt
                Participant

I've had a hectic couple of days, so I needed some cookie therapy. This afternoon, I baked Cherry-Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. (They also include toasted almonds.) The recipe comes from Bon Appetit (February 1998). My only change was to use the Bittersweet Chocolate Chips from KAF and decrease the amount from 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 cups. I used a combination of sweet and tart cherries that I first plumped with a bit of hot water. I dropped the cookies using the 2 Tbs. scoop (Zeroll #30) and got 26--but two of the warm ones were eaten quickly.

KIDPIZZA
                  Participant

I’ve had a hectic couple of days, so I needed some cookie therapy. This afternoon, I baked Cherry-Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. (They also include toasted almonds.) The recipe comes from Bon Appetit (February 1998). My only change was to use the Bittersweet Chocolate Chips from KAF and decrease the amount from 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 cups. I used a combination of sweet and tart cherries that I first plumped with a bit of hot water. I dropped the cookies using the 2 Tbs. scoop (Zeroll #30) and got 26–but two of the warm ones were eaten quickly.

BAKERAUNT:
                    Good afternoon Marliss. I hope you didn't forget to incorporate the "ALMOND EXTRACT in your Cherry Cookies......Do tell now my friend.

~CASS / KIDPIZZA.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

My wife brought home a recipe for a gluten-free snickerdoodle, so that's on my list for the next few days. Once I've tested it, I'll post it.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Yes, Cass, in addition to 1 tsp. vanilla, the cookie recipe calls for 1/2 tsp. almond extract--ah, heaven!

Italiancook
                        Participant

Bronx, I also succumbed to the temptation to use my recalled blade. Before I put the processed food into the pan, I pulled out the blade and examined it from all side and angles to make sure no metal had come off. Even at that, I was still worried about it.

BakerAunt, I could use some cookie therapy this week. It's been a hectic one, and I've done no cooking or baking. I'm looking forward to next week, when there's only one thing on the calendar. Not sure what I'll cook or bake on those free days, but for sure something -- hopefully, several somethings.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

I currently have 20+ pounds of challah dough on hand and have yet to bake a thing this week! I need another 10-15 pounds for Sunday when we will be making loaves of challah at religious school. I will probably make a few loaves Saturday to have on hand for the kids to taste as we make it. And we're going to do all this in two and a half hours!

I also have shortbread dough sitting in the refrigerator which I need to make. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow too.

Question for you folks who make gluten free things. Who are you making them for? I've said I would make things for people who were trying to cut back on gluten or had gluten intolerance. But I won't do it for someone who has celiac disease because I'm too scared that there is still some flour left on all the things I normally use to bake. I would want new bowls, scrapers, pans, etc.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I got started making gluten-free stuff because our daughter-in-law thought she has a gluten problem, but not celiac. (There appear to be at least five different types of gluten sensitivity.)

In the process, we've discovered several things (like cornbread) that we like better as a gluten-free product. There are several gluten-free cookies on that list, too.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Today I'm working on developing a new recipe using bread flour, sprouted wheat flour and semolina.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Mike, I am curious about that recipe. Bread? I bought a bag of Sproute Wheat Flour at KAF this week, and not sure how to use it except to sub it for some of the other wheat flours.

I have spent most of the last five weeks in and out of the hospital, and it is soooo god to be baking and reading these baking/cooking blogs! I've made the KAF Goodness mix for sour cream coffee cake, which they were giving away, yes, free, at the baker's store. It was excellent, flavor and texture. Today I made cookies using Nestles Delightfull, cherry flavored. Also excellent and I would make them again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.