What are you Baking the Week of February 13, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of February 13, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking today here, what about at your place?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Sunday was a busy baking day. I baked my Rye Barley Crispbread. I discovered that it is easier if I roll out the dough on my Silpat mat, with saran over the top, then flip it over and carefully peel off the Silpat and replace it with parchment paper, then carefully flip it back over and peel off the saran before proceeding.

I also baked Hazelnut Heart Cakelets, using half buttermilk and replacing ¼ cup of the oil with buttermilk. These are baked in a 6-well Nordic Ware cakelet pan. Tomorrow, I will put a vanilla glaze and some Valentine’s sprinkles on them. I was happy that I could locate this pan. Our contractor has had delays, and no doubt more lucrative projects, so the reno of the space above our garage has been dragging out since late summer, and our house is still piled up with items that belong out there.

chocomouse
        Participant

I baked the Creamcheese Brownies that Joan posted a link to yesterday. I was concerned because the brownie dough was very, very dry; it was difficult to spread in the pan. And the creamcheese mixture was very wet, more like a thin cake batter. Now that they have cooled and set up, the consistency is better, but still not what I would expect. I reviewed the recipe, and believe I did not omit anything, and measured correctly. Were your's like that Joan?

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Chocomouse I'm sorry yours didn't turn out mine were very good and fudgy.I went by recipe and the cream cheese batter was thick that I pushed it off the spoon with my finger,brownie batter was thick but not dry.I melted the butter in saucepan and put the sugar in it while hot as the recipe stated.I ate one of the brownies 2 days later and it was still moist. I had wrapped it in saran wrap.I used an 8x8 pan as stated.M sister in law told me the next day how she liked them and how fudgy they were that's why I wanted to share this recipe,dang it.

chocomouse
            Participant

Joan, I followed the instructions exactly - I even used a timer for the 5 minute wait on the butter and sugar. I did skip the vanilla in the brownie batter; maybe that made a bigger difference than I thought it would. My cream cheese had been in the freezer, so perhaps that affected the liquidity, but it was very very runny. I'll try them again, in a month or so, and let you know how they come out.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Some brands of cream cheese work better in recipes than others, and using full-fat vs reduced fat can make a difference, too.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I used full fat cream cheese it was Target's brand of Good Gather and it was room temp.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Mine was Philadelphia, full-fat, and at room temperature.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Monday, I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough that I made last week.

I also baked bread on Monday. The base recipe was the Pumpkin Rye Bread in Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet, and I had already done a major re-working when I baked it a few months ago to make it 2/3 whole grain. This time, I replaced 1 cup of the dark rye flour in my adaptation with pumpernickel, and I reduced the salt to 2 1/2 tsp. from the original tablespoon. As it made three rather small loaves in 8x4 pans, this time I used two 9x5 loaf pans. The bread rose well and filled out the pans nicely, so that was a good decision. I baked at 400F for 40 minutes, then an additional 5 minutes at 375F to get the internal temperature to 195F. The loaves were a bit dark on top. Depending on taste when we slice into them tomorrow, I may drop the temperature to 375F next time.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We had some cinnamon rolls with chili for supper, but Runza has changed their cinnamon roll recipe and these weren't nearly as good. So I think I'll plan to make the King Arthur tangzhong cinnamon roll recipe this week, freezing most of them. Those were really good.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Somewhere recently I saw a recipe for carrot cake cinnamon rolls, and made note of where it is. I'm not sure I'd like it, but think it would be fun to try it. I can imagine the flavors, but the texture of cake compared to the texture of a risen, fluffy roll dough is not imaginable to me! But with a cream cheese frosting - it's gotta be OK.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

If you google 'carrot cake cinnamon rolls', you get at least a half dozen pages, though I haven't compared them to see how different they are. One of them uses a mascarpone icing.

I'm guessing the 'carrot cake' refers more to the spice/flavor profile than the texture. Might be interesting to make it with the left over carrot pulp from juicing carrots, it's pretty finely chopped, so you don't get carrot strands stuck in between your teeth.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Today I made olive-gruyere rolls, based on the KABC recipe. Instead of rolling the dough, filling, and cutting it into 4 small "loaves", I slice it into 12 pieces about 1" thick, similar to cinnamon rolls. I put them into greased muffin tins to bake, and this time I put them into the burger bun pan. I did use gruyere cheese this time, although I am more apt to use a cheaper cheese or one that I have on hand, such as Swiss, fontina, cheddar, mozzarella.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I made a batch of tangzhong cinnamon rolls today.

Italiancook
                                Participant

Before breakfast, I baked 2 boules of Cuban bread. One is for the freezer; the other for use today with Fettuccini Alfredo for lunch and maybe Chickpea Soup for dinner.

A couple of years before the pandemic, I bought a walnut lame from KAF. I had my husband put in the blade before I made the Portuguese bread a few weeks ago. I did a lousy job using it to slash the Portuguese bread. I think because the dough is so delicate I was afraid it'd collapse. . . at least that's my excuse. Today, with the sturdier dough, I felt safer slashing with strength, and both boules of Cuban bread look fantastic from the slashing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.