What are you Baking the Week of February 13, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of February 13, 2022?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I have the walnut lame from KAF also, Italian Cook. It is good for straight slashes. I have had the same experience as you, depending on whether the dough is delicate or sturdy, and it may be my own trepidation. I have found that with a delicate dough, it helps to slash about 10 minutes before you will bake it, as that gives it a bit of recovery time.

I'm glad you had a lovely outcome with your Cuban bread!

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've tried several different types of lames, the one I got at SFBI which uses a double-edge razor blade that's bent in a slight curve has worked well for me most of the time. But IMHO the consistency of the dough is more important. Most of the time I wind up using my 5" santoku knife (which I keep very sharp) for slashing dough.

BakerAunt
        Participant

KABC is currently selling some smaller handled lames which require the blade to be bent. Supposedly those work better for making swirling patterns. I usually do a tic-tac-toe setup for round loaves.

We are in the midst of another Winter Weather Warning on this Thursday. It began with rain, which created ice onto which snow has now been falling. We may get major snowfalls. (Predictions are all over the place.) With that indeterminate forecast, I retrieved the rest of our Winesap apples from the garage yesterday, and I baked an apple pie with streusel topping. I joked to my husband that if we do have a power failure, we can survive on apple pie!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I wound up throwing the last of my Winesap apples out recently; they had all developed big brown areas. They were stored in the garage.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Your Cuban bread sounds good Italiancook,I've never tried to bake that bread.

Tonight I baked a small peach cobbler from fresh peaches I had in the freezer.I halved the recipe and baked it in a 1 &1/2 qt.dish we had it warm with vanilla ice cream yummy.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I am making semolina bread today.

Italiancook
                Participant

Joan, the Cuban bread I make is good. I use KABC bread flour instead of the AP flour it calls for. It's a dense bread with a somewhat crispy crust. I like it with pasta,, which we had last night, and with Italian soups, such as Chickpea Soup that hasn't been made yet. Hopefully, tomorrow, before the bread dies out too much I'll make the soup. It's only a 90-minute bread, so it's nothing fancy. I found the recipe in a book, as part of the book, not a cookbook.

I don't think it's authentic Cuban bread, as the online recipes call for lard, and I don't use any fat. The online recipes call for a long loaf, including the KABC recipe linked. My recipe calls for 2 boules. https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/cuban-sandwich-recipe

Italiancook
                  Participant

I just checked -- the Cuban Bread recipe I use is in "The Complete Tightwad Gazzette."

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Italiancook I Googled and found the recipe,thanks.

Italiancook
                      Participant

I learned something from you, Joan: I didn't realize I could access the recipe I use by Googling the book and the recipe name. Thanks for teaching me!

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Italiancook Google is my good friend.It helps me out a lot!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.