What are You Baking the Week of February 11, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of February 11, 2018?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

Mike;
      I have a 4.5 quart Kitchen Aid so I guess I will have to continue by hand. I looked at the KA whole grain cookbook and might try their hot cross bun recipe this year. I was rather put off previously by the baking powder which seems an odd ingredient for a yeast roll.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Skeptic--could you mix and knead half the dough at a time? I have a hazy memory that someone on the KAF Baking Circle used that method to get around the limitations of the mixer.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Today I made Whole Grain Waffles for breakfast using some of my cultured buttermilk.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I am baking Ellen's (formerly Moonie) buns as rolls. They are on their first rise. The idea was to have them for a picnic lunch tomorrow. We are supposed to go to the Indiana Dune's State and National Parks for a talk on invasive plants at the visitors' center and then some hiking on our own. I'm having my doubts as to whether we will be going, as a snowstorm--not predicted--has moved in and is dropping a lot of heavy wet snow. We may be picnicking at home.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
            cwcdesign
            Participant

Another buttermilk question. I was planning to make MrsCindys Irish oatmeal bread again tomorrow - some of my ingredients arrived from KAF today. I ran out of milk - there’s 2 cups in the sort of starter. But I have buttermilk which I know I can use (it gets boiled with the oatmeal). Since it’s a yeast bread, do I have to worry about baking soda?

And, the recipe calls for honey which I don’t have enough of. I’m thinking of substituting maple syrup or Lyle’s golden syrup. Any thoughts on which you’d use. I think either would be a good choice.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by cwcdesign.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

Cwcdesign--I never use the baking soda with buttermilk substitutions in yeast breads. You should be fine using buttermilk. It will separate a bit when heated, but just stir it all back together.

I seem to recall that KAF recipes did allow for the switching of honey and maple syrup without making any changes in amounts, but I cannot recall a specific recipe right now.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                luvpyrpom
                Participant

Not much baking this week - sourdough cinnamon raisin bread with my sourdough discard (it made 2 loaves and I gave it away). I tried using the KAF fudge cake recipe with the mini Maryann pan I had recently purchased. The frosting didn't come out as smooth as I thought. I had made several pans of KAF Sourdough
                  Cinnamon Crumb Cake and froze them a couple of weeks ago. Took one out on Thursday and been slowly eating away on that. Hopefully will be able to bake some more next week.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Yesterday I made two loaves of our usual oatmeal-whole wheat sandwich bread. I also made apricot scones and froze half for an upcoming trip. Then I made cornbread to go with leftover chili. Earlier in the week I made a white chocolate chip-chocolate cookie in a cast iron pan. It was OK, more like a brownie, and not the best brownie I've ever had - I won't make it again.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

BA, looks like I won’t be making oatmeal bread today. My buttermilk didn’t last - I didn’t realize how long ago I bought it - the sell by date was December 17th which means I probably bought it in November! Where does the time go? I thought I’d bought it in January.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.